.38/.357 snake shot ammo

American Revival Apparel Company

Sassi

Hunter
Mar 7, 2010
Middle Georgia
During the summer months I pocket carry a S&W model 642 every day. I keep it loaded with snake shot. Over the years I have walked up on or nearly stepped on a number of poisonous snakes so i like to be ready. My supply of 38/357 snake shot ammo is down to 4 rounds. I contacted by phone or actual visit four places around where I live in Middle Georgia looking for 38/357 snake shot ammo. Nobody had any. They had other calibers but nothing in 38/357.

i then did an internet search, and at all the major ammo dealers i again came up short. I called CCI on the phone, and had to leave a message, but to their credit I got a call back in a matter of minutes. They told me that a major shipment of 38/357 snake shot ammo went out a couple of weeks ago and that another shipment would be going out in another month or so. It is their position that it just takes a little time for this ammo to work its way down to the local area dealers.

I am curious to find out if anyone else has encountered anything similar regarding snake shot ammo availability.

Pops

Woodsman
Jun 8, 2012
Maine
Sassi,
I picked up some 45 ACP with snake shot two weeks ago but saw no other calibers. :(

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
Bill, I've loaded my own shot loads for .45 Long Colt in the past. Back in the 1970s, I found some plastic tubes designed for the purpose. I had no clue as to whether or not they are available today, but a quick Google search came up with this item for you. Once you have them, anyone who has conventional loading tools for the caliber can make some for you. You'd even get to choose the shot size. You'd have to figure out an appropriate load but I suspect that Speer could point you to some useful data.

I could do the loading for you, but would have trouble shipping the finished product. If you'd like to come visit, you could carry them home. ;D

Sassi

Hunter
Mar 7, 2010
Middle Georgia
Skip I would love to come and visit. Unfortunately medical issues keep me from going hardly anywhere other than our local vicinity. I looked at the website you showed. If I reloaded ammo I would definitely get some of those tubes to use. Reloading is something I have thought about doing, but just never got into. I have never been the best at precise measurements. I am sure I would have trouble reloading properly..

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
Sassi said:
Skip I would love to come and visit. Unfortunately medical issues keep me from going hardly anywhere other than our local vicinity. I looked at the website you showed. If I reloaded ammo I would definitely get some of those tubes to use. Reloading is something I have thought about doing, but just never got into. I have never been the best at precise measurements. I am sure I would have trouble reloading properly..
Do you have any friends who load .38/.357? Substituting the tubes full of shot for bullets and using the right amount of the right powder would not be big changes from their normal loading activities.