Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
Many of us live in either urban or suburban Atlanta. I'm curious to see how many of you think having a semi-auto .308 rifle is a good idea....

I used to be of the persuasion yhat that's is all I would carry if S ever HTF. I've changed my mind and think a lightweight intermediate caliber carbine is by far the best option....but many "preppers" suggest having either a bolt or semi auto .308. I fail to see why....if the time comes and you need to get out of Dodge you will likely only be able to carry one rifle and ammo and leave behind the big bore. The money spent on buying the big bore and ammo could have been used for training or a secondary gun in the intermediate caliber/ammo.

What say you?

Cudruln

Turning dollars into pennies.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
I personally feel that a large caliber will be useless. How would a long range rifle be useful in close range shooting. Let's just use my house for instance I wouldn't have a shot over 100 yards. So all my smaller calibers would be good for that.

Now if I was somewhere that had more of an open layout than sure. But if your having to bug out obviously the weight of ammunition would be playing a big factor.

I will still probably own a large caliber one of these days though. Just to have something else to play with.

Reactions: HuskyLab and Shemp

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
IMO unless you see yourself regularly taking 300+ yard shots then a .308 is not going to be any better suited then a 5.56 or x39. added weight per round is going to be the main draw back for me.

Reactions: Shemp

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
I get that if you had even a few.hours to get ready that throwing a bolt .308 or. 30-06 in the vehicle with yiu might not be a big deal....but more than likely you will literally have minutes. Commuting to work it's amazing that leaving 5 minutes earlier cuts my commute by nearly 30 mins...I imagine the same would be true when it's time to leave the suburbs.

Do you guys think that urban defense/survical is possible in a shtf/wrol scenario?

Cudruln

Turning dollars into pennies.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
Urban defense is going to be a big part. Let's just take a minute and think about how many people are going to be so unprepared, that if you don't leave before an event starts your going to be right in the middle of it. Do I plan on being strapped out the sun roof of the vehicle, well what else do I have to hope for. Got to make sure the path is clear to get to my destination.

But seriously I think the biggest thing to think about is having your location/destination loaded down enough that to make sure your going to be able to survive for some time. Now are we talking a 3 weeks or 3 months. Though I honestly think that 75% of the population that is going to fail will do so in the first month. Just think of the amount of people that barely make it week to week, how are they going to survive when their food supply vanishes at the drop off a hat.

FatAlbert

Cerakote applicator, PM for quotes.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 25, 2015
GA
www.facebook.com
Zip code
If one was in incredible shape so that the extra weight was of no consequence and was a excellent rifle man able to quickly and accurately shoot the .308 with fast follow up shots and had the funds to stock pile and train with it I could definitely see it being their best option. I am none of the three by any stretch of the imagination. This is why being a long time AK fan I'm beginning to lean towards the 5.56. Much lighter loadout and easier to shoot fast and accurately.

Reactions: Cudruln

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
If one was in incredible shape so that the extra weight was of no consequence and was a excellent rifle man able to quickly and accurately shoot the .308 with fast follow up shots and had the funds to stock pile and train with it I could definitely see it being their best option. I am none of the three by any stretch of the imagination. This is why being a long time AK fan I'm beginning to lean towards the 5.56. Much lighter loadout and easier to shoot fast and accurately.

I'm in decent health but I would have. Hard time hoofing it with a PTR 91 and 180 rounds of 308.

I can carry 240 rounds of 5.45 and still have so.e weight to spare...

Reactions: FatAlbert

Hayata

Blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-PING!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
Poodle shooters...meh.

Give me black tipped 30:06 all day long.

Reactions: Joey and Shemp

HuskyLab

Hunter
Jul 5, 2015
I can't see an argument for any caliber for SHTF in the US besides 5.56 or 7.62x39. 5.56 will probably be easier to come by, but 7.62x39 is easier to buy cheap and stack deep in terms of prepping.

I would venture a guess that the .308 for SHTF guys are also the ones that think the AR platform is useless and that intermediate calibers are only good for shooting squirrels. They also own M1As and 1911s exclusively :bounce:

Reactions: Cudruln

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
Many of us live in either urban or suburban Atlanta. I'm curious to see how many of you think having a semi-auto .308 rifle is a good idea....

I used to be of the persuasion yhat that's is all I would carry if S ever HTF. I've changed my mind and think a lightweight intermediate caliber carbine is by far the best option....but many "preppers" suggest having either a bolt or semi auto .308. I fail to see why....if the time comes and you need to get out of Dodge you will likely only be able to carry one rifle and ammo and leave behind the big bore. The money spent on buying the big bore and ammo could have been used for training or a secondary gun in the intermediate caliber/ammo.

What say you?
Pretty much agree. What I really wonder about is if stockpiling ammunition is worth the effort. If crap goes down, will I have to leave it behind? Maybe, probably? My house is in the middle of a neighborhood, surrounded on all four side. Pretty much indefensible against a sizeable group. So bugging in is probably a bad idea. My best hope is that it takes longer for unrest to reach the burbs, so I could load a shit ton of ammo while the wife gets food stuffs, etc into the truck bed. Then roll out on backroads.

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
Pretty much agree. What I really wonder about is if stockpiling ammunition is worth the effort. If crap goes down, will I have to leave it behind? Maybe, probably? My house is in the middle of a neighborhood, surrounded on all four side. Pretty much indefensible against a sizeable group. So bugging in is probably a bad idea. My best hope is that it takes longer for unrest to reach the burbs, so I could load a shit ton of ammo while the wife gets food stuffs, etc into the truck bed. Then roll out on backroads.

You're in the same situation I'm in. Thankfully I think Kennesaw won't be quite as bad as other burbs but it will get bad eventually. I think stockpiling is necessary to an extent. 5k rounds is still a fairly compact item in the truck. Water, which is as important, takes up the most space and weight. I would want to fit as much water and food as I could. Hell, if you can survive long enough to run through 5k rounds you can figure out how to get more.

I do firmly believe that whatever amount of whatever caliber you choose to take with you will be all that you have. No one is going to give you more or trade you for more.

Last edited:

Hayata

Blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-PING!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
It's all about organization.

Kennesaw will battle Woodstock.

Johns Creek along with Cumming will flank Duluth and take the gasoline storage tanks in Doraville.

Reactions: Shemp and Cudruln