300 black

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

War Paint

Frontiersman
Nov 23, 2015
Oxford ga
Zip code
Ok I picked up a 16" 300 black upper. Wanna see if it will hold up at 400 yards.
What have you guys been loading up. Projectile and Powder

Reactions: dial1911

Liberty

nitrocellulose dispenser
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2015
Ga
Zip code
In for results. I would probably use something in the 125 grain for a projectile, and would try a few with 296/110 if I had any. That powder is always very accurate for me.

lesptr

Ninja
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 7, 2018
Newnan, GA
Zip code
In for results. I would probably use something in the 125 grain for a projectile, and would try a few with 296/110 if I had any. That powder is always very accurate for me.

I had horrible results with h110 and 125 Sierra match kings. I switched to accurate 1680 and it improved, but I still get better results from cheap plinking ammo. 300blk has been an exercised frustration for me.

Liberty

nitrocellulose dispenser
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2015
Ga
Zip code
I had horrible results with h110 and 125 Sierra match kings. I switched to accurate 1680 and it improved, but I still get better results from cheap plinking ammo. 300blk has been an exercised frustration for me.

I have started using Accurate/ Western powders, Magpro specifically for my more serious shooting such as at live critters. I set the bullets close to maximum cartridge oal and work up to max charges. The pressures stay reasonable longer that way for me. My chronograph results have mirrored and often exceeded the Western print data. It has been my experience that Hodgdon/IMR data for newer cartridges has been overly optimistic. The old standbys such as service rifle 30-06 7.62x51 and rimmed American rounds has been pretty much on with IMR, but those have been established for decades. You are probably onto something with the Accurate powder in 300 blackout. Hornady match bullets have been better for me than Sierra's due to similar performance at lower cost. @War Paint , I think that I have some factory 300blk brass if you want to try those if you are trimming .556 to see if it makes a difference. I can check the barn tomorrow.

War Paint

Frontiersman
Nov 23, 2015
Oxford ga
Zip code
I'm going to call around and see if I can find some Lil Gun locally. Hate the haz mat fee for just a little powder. There are a few reloaders here at work and we usually make a group powder order. Its great to have 28 lbs of powder and 7000 primers on the front porch.

Reactions: dial1911

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I'm going to call around and see if I can find some Lil Gun locally. Hate the haz mat fee for just a little powder. There are a few reloaders here at work and we usually make a group powder order. Its great to have 28 lbs of powder and 7000 primers on the front porch.
I think Brownells had a deal going where the HAZMAT fee was waived....don't quote me though.

lesptr

Ninja
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 7, 2018
Newnan, GA
Zip code
I have started using Accurate/ Western powders, Magpro specifically for my more serious shooting such as at live critters. I set the bullets close to maximum cartridge oal and work up to max charges. The pressures stay reasonable longer that way for me. My chronograph results have mirrored and often exceeded the Western print data. It has been my experience that Hodgdon/IMR data for newer cartridges has been overly optimistic. The old standbys such as service rifle 30-06 7.62x51 and rimmed American rounds has been pretty much on with IMR, but those have been established for decades. You are probably onto something with the Accurate powder in 300 blackout. Hornady match bullets have been better for me than Sierra's due to similar performance at lower cost. @War Paint , I think that I have some factory 300blk brass if you want to try those if you are trimming .556 to see if it makes a difference. I can check the barn tomorrow.

Thanks for the brass offer.
I have a lot of Hornady 300 brass, and lake city 556 brass that’s been cut, sized, and trimmed with a giroud (sp?) trimmer. I weigh each piece of brass and choose a batch that weighs the same. I trickle my powder so that each load is within .01 gn. I’m ready to give up on the 125 match king and try something else.

War Paint

Frontiersman
Nov 23, 2015
Oxford ga
Zip code
Taking money to ship a gift to a friend....not this old man. I only found 54 300 blk headstamped, but I will get them in the mail tomorrow or Friday. Just p.m. me your address.
OK OLD MAN Just for the record I'm 62. If I get time this weekend I will see what Quick Load says as for FPS with lil Gun and check OBT for a node. My barrel is 16 inches. What length is every one shooting ?

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net

Yeah- I used to do the same thing, but my reloaders aren't buying much because they're so overstocked at the moment.

I can go down to Bass Pro and pick some up, but for crying out loud, Bullseye was almost $30 a pound last time I was in there. Powder Valley is nearly 50% of that cost.

However, for a pound or two, I'll buy locally (not Bass Pro).

Reactions: Liberty

War Paint

Frontiersman
Nov 23, 2015
Oxford ga
Zip code
Ill check Franklins in Athens. At least then I can go to the Varsity, Hello Chili cheese steak and a peach pie