3 gun

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA
Jul 14, 2015
Atlanta
Zip code
I'd like to give it a go as well just never wanted to do it on my own. I already own a pistol and rifle that would be fine i just don't have a very racey shotgun. I'm also not sure which division I would want to try. Interested to hear more

KGmade

Frontiersman
Apr 14, 2016
Marietta, Ga
kgmade.net
Zip code
Minimum? And rifle in .223 or larger caliber, a 12g, and a pistol, as far as weapons go.
You can get away with usually one ar15 mag holder, but you need a way to carry shotgun shells. Loading a shotgun is time consuming and can be frustrating. I would recommend looking up shotgun loading techniques and choosing one that will work for what you want. There's styles geared more towards combat reloading, and others that are better suited for gaming. I like to weak hand load 2.

Rwjeter

Space Force General Freeze.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
I planned on getting into as well. Never had anyone to go with or really get advice from. Did a lot of research on guns, not too much on equipment though. I decided to go with a Benelli M2 for my shotgun. That thing is amazing. Never had a single issue. Of course I've never had it out on the 3 gun field. Load 2 weak hand was the fastest reload for me as well. Glock 34 for my pistol. I ended up trading it off though. I shot just as good with my 19. I still need a good rifle though. Planned on building a lightweight 14.5 pinned and welded AR. Just never got around to it. I have a book on 3 gun somewhere if I can find it.

Reactions: AtlMedic

3gunslacker

Scout
Jan 18, 2017
Atlanta South
Zip code
The best piece of advice I can give you is register for a 3 gun match & bring what you have. The only absolute necessity is a good gun belt, other shooters will have extra everything for you (mag pouches, caddies etc.). Feel free to contact me for Atlanta 3 Gun, we've been shooting it since October 2014. As with many other shooters, we've bought everything multiple times to find the right fit. What works for me, won't necessarily work for you. I would say, buy once, cry once if you're serious about running 3 gun. New shooters are always welcome the 2nd Sunday of each month at South River Gun Club in Covington off Hwy 212. We usually have a shooters meeting around 0830 & start shooting around 0900 or so. The shooting community is very generous when it comes to their gear, you'll find the occasional cry baby that doesn't want you to touch their stuff. My son & I run Benelli M1 Super 90, I got one in 1990 & have been shooting it ever since. Benelli M2 is another great shotgun. We have a Browning A5 ordered & will hopefully get our hands on it soon. If you Google CPWSA, Chris Patty will ship you most anything same day, he's a local Atlanta guy that knows 3 gun VERY well. Most divisional capacity for scatterguns starts with 9 in the chamber, many times you'll ad 2 - 4 after the beep so a 13 round NORDIC tube is very helpful. Loading is the key, everybody can shoot a pistol, everybody can shoot a rifle - it's the shotgun that takes the most practice. Bring a JAR (Just Another Rifle), bring a pistol / mags & a thick skin. Your first match is all about safety, listen to the RO. With 80+ shooters, all shooters have 3+ guns, safety is numero uno. Last thing, the game is about shooting fast AND accurately but accuracy comes first. Pistol shooting takes a lot of rounds to get where you need to be, find USPSA matches & shoot them as much as you can. I'm on the south side so we shoot at South River, Atlanta Practical Shooters has a USPSA match the first Sunday of each month. Griffin Gun Club has a USPSA match the third Saturday of every month. I'm not as familiar with the north side matches but they have them frequently at Cherokee. Other close by 3 gun matches are at Talladega CMP & Clinton House, SC.

Good shooting, let me know if I can help you in any way!

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
The best piece of advice I can give you is register for a 3 gun match & bring what you have. The only absolute necessity is a good gun belt, other shooters will have extra everything for you (mag pouches, caddies etc.). Feel free to contact me for Atlanta 3 Gun, we've been shooting it since October 2014. As with many other shooters, we've bought everything multiple times to find the right fit. What works for me, won't necessarily work for you. I would say, buy once, cry once if you're serious about running 3 gun. New shooters are always welcome the 2nd Sunday of each month at South River Gun Club in Covington off Hwy 212. We usually have a shooters meeting around 0830 & start shooting around 0900 or so. The shooting community is very generous when it comes to their gear, you'll find the occasional cry baby that doesn't want you to touch their stuff. My son & I run Benelli M1 Super 90, I got one in 1990 & have been shooting it ever since. Benelli M2 is another great shotgun. We have a Browning A5 ordered & will hopefully get our hands on it soon. If you Google CPWSA, Chris Patty will ship you most anything same day, he's a local Atlanta guy that knows 3 gun VERY well. Most divisional capacity for scatterguns starts with 9 in the chamber, many times you'll ad 2 - 4 after the beep so a 13 round NORDIC tube is very helpful. Loading is the key, everybody can shoot a pistol, everybody can shoot a rifle - it's the shotgun that takes the most practice. Bring a JAR (Just Another Rifle), bring a pistol / mags & a thick skin. Your first match is all about safety, listen to the RO. With 80+ shooters, all shooters have 3+ guns, safety is numero uno. Last thing, the game is about shooting fast AND accurately but accuracy comes first. Pistol shooting takes a lot of rounds to get where you need to be, find USPSA matches & shoot them as much as you can. I'm on the south side so we shoot at South River, Atlanta Practical Shooters has a USPSA match the first Sunday of each month. Griffin Gun Club has a USPSA match the third Saturday of every month. I'm not as familiar with the north side matches but they have them frequently at Cherokee. Other close by 3 gun matches are at Talladega CMP & Clinton House, SC.

Good shooting, let me know if I can help you in any way!

Thanks for the info.

I mostly want to do it for fun and to get to do some shooting other than just paper targets. Knowing I wouldnt be competitive with it, would it be a total waste to bring a old Winchester 1300 that holds like 4 shells. Its the only shotgun I have and I use it for Dove hunting. I have a Glock 19 and an AR to use, but I dont have a "tactical" or competitive shotgun.

Ive been tossing around the idea of a Mossberg 930 later this year.

Reactions: 3gunslacker

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I planned on getting into as well. Never had anyone to go with or really get advice from. Did a lot of research on guns, not too much on equipment though. I decided to go with a Benelli M2 for my shotgun. That thing is amazing. Never had a single issue. Of course I've never had it out on the 3 gun field. Load 2 weak hand was the fastest reload for me as well. Glock 34 for my pistol. I ended up trading it off though. I shot just as good with my 19. I still need a good rifle though. Planned on building a lightweight 14.5 pinned and welded AR. Just never got around to it. I have a book on 3 gun somewhere if I can find it.
I keep meaning to give IDPA a shot since there are several matches close by.
I think Stoddards in Douglasville does a IDPA style carbine match from time to time. Id be will to meet you out there to try it out if you want. @BackWoods could possibly tell us when the next one is.

Reactions: Rwjeter

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
Minimum? And rifle in .223 or larger caliber, a 12g, and a pistol, as far as weapons go.
You can get away with usually one ar15 mag holder, but you need a way to carry shotgun shells. Loading a shotgun is time consuming and can be frustrating. I would recommend looking up shotgun loading techniques and choosing one that will work for what you want. There's styles geared more towards combat reloading, and others that are better suited for gaming. I like to weak hand load 2.
The shotgun is the only thing I dont have. Well, I have one but its for bird hunting.

I have watched reload styles and that would take a bunch of practice, I should probably buy some 12g dummy rounds.

Reactions: KGmade

Rwjeter

Space Force General Freeze.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
The shotgun is the only thing I dont have. Well, I have one but its for bird hunting.

I have watched reload styles and that would take a bunch of practice, I should probably buy some 12g dummy rounds.
Yeah man, I'd be game. You can run my M2 if we find a true 3 gun match relatively close. I can't remember if it's 26 or 28" which is long but usable. I already have the extended tube for it.

3gunslacker

Scout
Jan 18, 2017
Atlanta South
Zip code
Thanks for the info.

I mostly want to do it for fun and to get to do some shooting other than just paper targets. Knowing I wouldnt be competitive with it, would it be a total waste to bring a old Winchester 1300 that holds like 4 shells. Its the only shotgun I have and I use it for Dove hunting. I have a Glock 19 and an AR to use, but I dont have a "tactical" or competitive shotgun.

Ive been tossing around the idea of a Mossberg 930 later this year.

I'll let you borrow my Benelli. Let's make some noise!

BackWoods

Frontiersman
Jul 5, 2015
Temple
Zip code
I keep meaning to give IDPA a shot since there are several matches close by.
I think Stoddards in Douglasville does a IDPA style carbine match from time to time. Id be will to meet you out there to try it out if you want. @BackWoods could possibly tell us when the next one is.

Hey buddy, as far as I know they only do the handgun IDPA matches. They did the carbine for a while but, not sure what happened.

Axeman

If you can’t laugh at yourself you’re FUKT!!!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 5, 2016
Goat Rodeo Clown
Zip code
Hey buddy, as far as I know they only do the handgun IDPA matches. They did the carbine for a while but, not sure what happened.
I used to do IDPA (now I think they call it GADPA) at South River Gun Club, and they ran a great match. Occasionally they'd add shotgun and carbine stages, and they regularly did BUG side-matches. Great way to get the adrenaline pumping is to hear that buzzer go and start taking out moving targets while seeking cover!!!

Axeman

If you can’t laugh at yourself you’re FUKT!!!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 5, 2016
Goat Rodeo Clown
Zip code
Wonder if I will be at disadvantage with 2 + 1 AOW shotgun?
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a "2+1 AOW shotgun"?
Is that like a Drilling 3-barrel (12ga SXS shotgun over smaller rifle caliber under) that's been cut down to less than 16"?