25ACP shooting experiences?

GA Firing Line

BeyondTheBox

Woodsman
Jan 7, 2013
The Great NorthWest
I know most if not all would advise against using such a low caliber for personal defense, but for me, sometimes, it's all I can carry that I can conceal and I'm not an open carry type. 9 times out of 10 I've got my 9mm on me.

I'm not looking for your advice or recommendations against this, I'm just wondering what if any experiences some of you may have had shooting this caliber at the range or outdoors.

I use to carry a 22lr until I realized the reported velocity of this cartridge were from rifle barrels and from a pistol they were extremely under powered in comparison to the 25, which is why I made my choice to move up.

I'd love to do a 380 or 32 but the guns always increase in size substantially when it comes to that move. For reference I know there are tiny 380s like the LCP, but I WILL NOT do DAO triggers. Yes I know the p238 and may move up to it when I can afford one, but for now I cannot. So until then I'm sticking with the 25 and I do not feel undergunned with any gun.

Please keep the caliber bashing out of this. I'm not stupid or uninformed, I've been the done that and addressed it all.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

R

rayzer007

I had a Beretta Jetfire .25 that I didn't shoot much, but when I did, I thought it was very accurate.

Ray

BeyondTheBox

Woodsman
Jan 7, 2013
The Great NorthWest
That's what I'm getting soon.

Did you ever test it's penetration through different barriers? This will be my next testing with it. I won't waste my time with jhp in such a low velocity and energy cartridge. I've got a bald rubber low profile tire, some jugs of water stuffed with shredded paper, and some pots and frying pans.

Very well may make up my mind on this decision, but thus far the accuracy has been superb from my 25b experience/guns.

Thanks for stopping by.

R

rayzer007

BeyondTheBox said:
Did you ever test it's penetration through different barriers?

No, I never did. I understood from the get-go it was a very underpowered round, and I felt I would probably need all nine rounds if I had to shoot it. It was a pocket backup/belly gun when I was a railroad cop. My range time was just to verify the integrity of the weapon. I don't believe it would penetrate very much. I eventually traded it, along with two derringers for a Kahr 9mm.

Ray

M

mukwah

Whatever you choose to carry for personal defense is your choice and a choice that I'm sure Will be respected by everyone here. As long as you feel confident that it will go bang at that critical moment that you might need it to is what is important!
Also knowing your weapon inside out and its capabilities is a must!
Practice, practice, and more practice is also important with drawing your weapon, and shooting it. Play out scenarios in your head until it pure muscle memory.
I have carried a weapon for almost 35 years and 30 of that with a permit. In the early days I carried a few differant 25 autos for a short period. Back then the quality was very poor and the caliber just left a bad taste that has lasted.
I know now they are better quality and ballistics are much better than then.
I think the Beretta Jetfire would be a wise if you are going to use the .25 as you probably can't a much better quality and reputable name, JMHO!

BeyondTheBox

Woodsman
Jan 7, 2013
The Great NorthWest
Re: Re: 25ACP shooting experiences?

mukwah said:
As long as you feel confident that it will go bang at that critical moment that you might need it to is what is important!
Also knowing your weapon inside out and its capabilities is a must!
I think the Beretta Jetfire would be a wise if you are going to use the .25 as you probably can't a much better quality and reputable name, JMHO!

Exactly!

First and foremost is trust and reliability is the utmost in embodiment of this.

First thing I do with every gun I own is tear them apart and look them over, remove any burrs or obstructions and shoot them. I feel in order to trust something fully you must know it intimately.

I always get to know my guns intimately

Verticoli

Personal philosophy? Clothing optional.
Jun 10, 2012
Fl's west coast
I had a Ravin .25. Ran fine and was fun to shoot. I shot a Packard hub cap with it one day and it didn't even put a dent in it. Seemed like that hub cap was some kind of heavy metal. I had a trauma that was grossly obese and he was shot with a .25. The bullet went through his belly fat roll, popped one of his testies, fell down his pant leg and stuck in his shoe.

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
Entertained by both the hub cap and testicle story. Amazed that you openly admitted to owning a Raven .25. You are truly a man comfortable in his own skin. I salute you.

BeyondTheBox

Woodsman
Jan 7, 2013
The Great NorthWest

Verticoli said:
I had a Ravin .25. Ran fine and was fun to shoot. I shot a Packard hub cap with it one day and it didn't even put a dent in it. Seemed like that hub cap was some kind of heavy metal. I had a trauma that was grossly obese and he was shot with a .25. The bullet went through his belly fat roll, popped one of his testies, fell down his pant leg and stuck in his shoe.

Awesome stories, and I too had a flawless running Raven. Gave it to a buddy. Regret that decision ever since...

Verticoli

Personal philosophy? Clothing optional.
Jun 10, 2012
Fl's west coast
My Ravin was many many years ago. More recently I had a Bryco .380 that shot very well and was suprisingly accurate. Those zink Ring-of-Fire guns are a fair option if that's what you can get.

BeyondTheBox

Woodsman
Jan 7, 2013
The Great NorthWest
I've owned many Zamak guns...

- Jimenez JA-22 22lr in both Chrome and matte nickel
- Jimenez JA-Nine 9mm
- FIE Titan Tiger 25acp
- Raven MP25 25acp

Each of these ran flawlessly. The Raven I bought used, ran about 1k thru. The ja22 I put at least 5k each and still using. The ja9 I put maybe 1k, give or take 100 round. All more accurate than any higher end/regarded brand I've ever shot including Ruger, Taurus, Remington, RIA, Colt, S&W and many more. It's because of the fixed barrels, they are the way to go.

I've only owned two Zamak guns that weren't perfect...

- Cobra 9mm derringer
It fired flawlessly every time, but accuracy, as you'd guess, because of shorty barrel, tiny gun and large caliber, was hit or miss.
- Phoenix HP22A
22lr was most malfunctioning gun I've ever owned. Burrs everywhere, tool markings in Chamber and on feed ramp. Pour firingpin and extractor functioning. I had every failure possible and had them all with each mag. The only thing I fixed was a failure to fire.

Northern_Son

Hunter
Jun 8, 2012
The Heart of Ohio
Grandad brought home an FN .25 from WWII. I've heard it called a "Baby Browning." He was a gunner on a Sherman with the 5th Armored Division and had a tank shot out from under him in France and another one in Germany.

We still have it. I clean it every year. We fired it at a family outing last summer just to tell the story to my kids and nephews. It only has a channel for a sight and it's really small so it's hard to hit with, but it still runs. We have the old leather holster that goes with it.

BeyondTheBox

Woodsman
Jan 7, 2013
The Great NorthWest

Northern_Son said:
Grandad brought home an FN .25 from WWII. I've heard it called a "Baby Browning." He was a gunner on a Sherman with the 5th Armored Division and had a tank shot out from under him in France and another one in Germany.

We still have it. I clean it every year. We fired it at a family outing last summer just to tell the story to my kids and nephews. It only has a channel for a sight and it's really small so it's hard to hit with, but it still runs. We have the old leather holster that goes with it.

Very cool, thanks for sharing that with me. I want one I can hand down as well, which is why I'm hoping to get a good condition Beretta JetFire.

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
I sure would like to see pictures of your Baby Browning.
Many many year ago a gun shop in W.V. had A COLT 25 & a FN 25 for $50 each, BUT he won't sell them to my because I was from OHIO. BUMMER!!! O'well. I all ways wanted one.

RICHGCOOP

BeyondTheBox

Woodsman
Jan 7, 2013
The Great NorthWest
Okay, so looking further I'm actually confused as to the recommendations for the Beretta JetFire. Worst recoil spring system I've ever seen. Impossible to replace without Beretta. They only make replacement parts for discontinued items for so long.

Seems to me like the worst gun to get. No?

I've reconsidered my decision, staying with my Titan. It's never failed me, so why fix what isn't broke.

eezz

Scout
Jan 30, 2013
Georgia
Wouldn't a Seecamp be the same size as a Jetfire? 'Course, if so, the .32 Seecamp is the same size as the .25 Seecamp. They have some peculiarities, though.

Then comes the similarly sized NAA .25 and .32 Guardians. Any interest there?

I've got a Colt model 1908 vest pocket .25. Can't say much about shooting it, as last time was 18 years ago, a few magazines with my Dad. Thought I'd show a pic of this 94-year-old Colt (mfg. in 1919, per SN), with my LCP...

p10004251280.jpg

R

rayzer007

Welcome to the club Eezz! Please consider posting a thread in the new members board to tell us a little about yourself! Glad to see you jumping in on posting!

Ray

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
eezz, Thanks for posting the picture of your 25 COLT. I love those old guns, thy remind me of my 1903 COLT 32acp.

SANY0363.jpg

RICHGCOOP

eezz

Scout
Jan 30, 2013
Georgia
RICHGCOOP, that's nice looking. Does the barrel twist, for takedown, like on my .25?

So, I checked and oiled my Colt tonight. I've got a partial box of .25 that I may as well shoot next time at the range. The barrel is pretty ratty, like, maybe if someone had used corrosive rounds at some point in the past century... dunno, never seen damage from the stuff, before. Not obstructed, but, not like a bore oughta be.