.22 long ammo........I am an idiot.

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
I have honestly not saw .22 long rifle in a retail store since Newtown. I have saw it in a couple of gun shops at crazy prices and passed. Well I am finally almost out and low and behold, stopped in a new gun shop about 20 minutes away, and saw CCI for $52 for 500 rounds. Not cheap by any means, but I was willing to go for it. I walked out feeling pretty good and when I got to the truck I just wanted to look at it in all it's glory. That is when I noticed it said .22 long. It was missing that one little word......rifle. DOH! Went back in and one of the guys was sure it would run fine in my 10/22. I knew it wouldn't but didn't argue. He said I could bring it back if it didn't run in it and of course it didn't. I will keep a box or two for the Remington Speedmaster that eats anything and the rest will go back. So I still have not found .22 long rifle! :'(

TRIGGER_1

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
Athens, GA USA
If you have... or know some who has a 22 revolver or bolt action rifle you would make their day on a trade for sure..... ;)

I would just keepem and shootem......;)

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
Since I know nothing about longs, other than the fact that I bought 500, I wonder how far off the scope on my Speedmaster will be off from standard velocity long rifles? At 40 yards, I did not see a difference with the iron sights of the 10/22 rifle. I could still make the rubber prairie dog flop around.

TRIGGER_1

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
Athens, GA USA
BDD....what surprises me the most about your find is the fact that I have not seen 22 longs in quite a few years.....They are a rare find now days..... ;)

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
I honestly don't remember ever seeing them until they were in the seat of my truck. I know I have never shot them. They would cycle about 6 to 9 rounds per mag in the 10/22, which was better than I expected. The Remington Speedmaster will eat them like candy though. I have never shot longs through it, but I have mixed shorts and longs together in the tube to try and make it choke on one and it just will not do it. Nice little rifle.

Mongo

Hunter
Jun 9, 2012
North Central Illinois
Zip code
Don't feel too bad BDD. You are not alone. A buddy of mine who was looking for .357 Magnums bought a couple of boxes and when he got home and took a good look at them, he discovered they were actually .327 Magnums. Luckily, the local gunsmith knew someone who owned a .327 Magnum and got them sold for him.

Verticoli

Personal philosophy? Clothing optional.
Jun 10, 2012
Fl's west coast
Trigger_1 said:
If you have... or know some who has a 22 revolver or bolt action rifle you would make their day on a trade for sure..... ;)

I would just keepem and shootem......;)
I've a new Henry lever that would happily gobble them down. :D

Verticoli

Personal philosophy? Clothing optional.
Jun 10, 2012
Fl's west coast
The Henry's pretty cool. I was all over a 3" target at 75' and it shot it all. all the crappy old bottom of the range bag stuff went BANG. RICHGCOOP had one he'd just ppicked up and sure enough, they had one at Wal Mart.

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
Verticoli said:
The Henry's pretty cool. I was all over a 3" target at 75' and it shot it all. all the crappy old bottom of the range bag stuff went BANG. RICHGCOOP had one he'd just ppicked up and sure enough, they had one at Wal Mart.

Way to go. Nice pickup on the Henry. Thy are COOL.

3Coyotes

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Effington, Ohio
Bummer! ... But there is still hope! I Have an old lever .22 that loves LR, L, and even short.

A local Gander Mtn Sunday print ad had Remington bulk 525 .22 LR Golden Bullet 36-Gr for $19.99. That's a price I could live with.

I think there should be a name for the feeling that overtakes ... well, at least me, when I see a good pile of ammo. And now I know BDD has the same affliction.

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
That seems like a pretty decent price nowadays. If I was at the store at the time I would pick up 3 boxes.

RICHGCOOP

DROID3 - Tap talk

R

rayzer007

3Coyotes said:
I think there should be a name for the feeling that overtakes ... well, at least me, when I see a good pile of ammo. And now I know BDD has the same affliction.

How about "Ammophilia"

Ray

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
Well here is the good news. I took 400 of the 500 rounds back to the new gun shop where I bought it and they traded me for some Federal. I looked at the box. It actually says long rifle. So I have some ammo for my .22 rifles and pistols. I still went to 2 Walmarts and 1 Meijer today. Saw a grand total of ZERO rounds of .22 long rifle. No shorts either. But at least I have some breathing room now.