$200 firearm

Faktory 47

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
Only gun ever? I'd have to go with a H&R 12ga or a Ruger 10-22.

The Chinese 870 clone it's really well made and could be used for HD and could kill most any animal in north America. The .22 because it's probably the second most versatile weapon I could think of in the price range.

Cudruln

Turning dollars into pennies.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
A rifle platform in a 22 lr. Because you would be able to do everything you need to with it.

Reactions: jwtug
H

Hoss

A rifle platform in a 22 lr. Because you would be able to do everything you need to with it.

I disagree.
You can't carry a 22lr rifle concealed not can you effectively use it to hunt large game. I would say a quality handgun would be the most versatile firearm since there are many non-firearm ways to hunt.

Reactions: Cudruln

Cudruln

Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
I disagree.
You can't carry a 22lr rifle concealed not can you effectively use it to hunt large game. I would say a quality handgun would be the most versatile firearm since there are many non-firearm ways to hunt.
But if your in the shtf scenario (I assume this is where your at on the point) I would not necessarily be concerned about concealed carry. As I have no plans on engaging in a close combat, but if it does happen I hope I would be able to manage with a good knife. Also with a rifle platform I would be able to take longer shots that are more reliable and accurate. Yeah a 22 may not have the knock down and I probably wouldn't stick around to make sure it was a kill shot, but I feel that a properly placed shoot would do the job. Maybe not quick but it would be there.

As far as large game I would have little concern either. A majority of the meat would be spoiled before eaten. So a 22 would be great for small game. Also like you stated there are alternatives to hunting other than firearms.

Obviously a large caliber rifle would be great, but we are talking about a $200 price point. So I still feel that a 22 rifle would be a great competitor in the field.

H

Hoss

But if your in the shtf scenario (I assume this is where your at on the point) I would not necessarily be concerned about concealed carry. As I have no plans on engaging in a close combat, but if it does happen I hope I would be able to manage with a good knife. Also with a rifle platform I would be able to take longer shots that are more reliable and accurate. Yeah a 22 may not have the knock down and I probably wouldn't stick around to make sure it was a kill shot, but I feel that a properly placed shoot would do the job. Maybe not quick but it would be there.

As far as large game I would have little concern either. A majority of the meat would be spoiled before eaten. So a 22 would be great for small game. Also like you stated there are alternatives to hunting other than firearms.

Obviously a large caliber rifle would be great, but we are talking about a $200 price point. So I still feel that a 22 rifle would be a great competitor in the field.

$$$ would not be a factor in a SHTF scenario. I would shoot you with my PA63 and take your Noveske.

For the real world... now... I'd choose a handgun.

Reactions: Cudruln

Cudruln

Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
$$$ would not be a factor in a SHTF scenario. I would shoot you with my PA63 and take your Noveske.

For the real world... now... I'd choose a handgun.
I can agree with that. I just take everything to a shtf scenario.

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
The SCCY CPX-2 is another good value and can be had for $189 new in the box!

Reactions: Red Dawn

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
nobody is going with a Hipoint?

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
For a $200 gun I'd personally go with a Remington 597. Can be had for $200 at Academy and it comes with a scope. I've had my old 597 for about 20 years now and it has been perfectly reliable (using good ammo). Come to think of it, I don't know that I've ever actually torn it down and cleaned it, I usually open the action and wipe it out with an oily rag.