10 Things You Learn in Sniper Class

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

Double Feed

Hunter
May 24, 2016
Los Angeles
www.doublefeedonline.com
Zip code
Double Feed submitted a new Southeast Traders articleThere's no "common core" curriculum, but there are still a few things you should expect to learn in a solid, well-rounded Introductory Sniper course.
1) Tips for setting up your rifle. Everything from why your gun shouldn't be black to how much to spend on an optic is fair game here. The more notes you can take, the better.

2) How to grip the rifle. You should learn the appropriate grip technique, how to push the rifle into your shoulder, the right amount of stock weld pressure, and what the heck you're supposed to do with your support hand.

3) How to adjust your optic for focus and zoom. Which turrets do what should definitely be covered. Also the fact that the focus really shouldn't need to be adjusted after it's set.

4) How to adjust your optic for elevation and windage. Your top and right turrets will be doing all the work here. There are some standards as to which direction does what, and generally adjusting the top turret clockwise will adjust the point of impact downwards, but some scopes are the opposite!

5) The fundamentals of a great shot. How to look through your scope, focus on the reticle, have a soft trigger press and follow-through. The same basics as with any type of shooting!

6) How to sight in your rifle at 100 yards. You should learn what the "clicks" mean and what MOAs and MILs are. And hey, after you zero once, why ever do it again? The importance of rifle set-up is magnified here. If you can permanently affix the scope to the rifle, you should theoretically never need to zero it again.

001_sniper-featured.jpeg

7) What come-ups and come-downs are and how to quickly and easily adjust for them. These should be taught with drills that will get your mind thinking and help you master the art of quick-thinking.

8) How to spot for another shooter, using your own scope, and help them adjust so they can be right on target.

9) How to be really sore and really tired and completely drained but still push through and make some awesome hits. Amen to that.

10) That sniping is hard, and the men and women who do this for their jobs deserve mad props for it!

Happy shooting!

For even more info on what you learn in an introductory sniper course, you can read more about my personal experience here.

An original Southeast Traders article.

mtn. girl

Hunter
Dec 3, 2016
asheville nc
Zip code
jd davis,,i knew carlos haddcock in nam,,he always told me ;;don"t shoot the target where its at,,,shoot where its gonna be,,,,he had 98 confirmed,,and a whole bunch more,,,we both liked the d-4 weaver scope,,,,no background,,just target,,,,worked for me,,he a cool guy,,,

AirOpsMgr

Director of Lavatory Services
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
jd davis,,i knew carlos haddcock in nam,,he always told me ;;don"t shoot the target where its at,,,shoot where its gonna be,,,,he had 98 confirmed,,and a whole bunch more,,,we both liked the d-4 weaver scope,,,,no background,,just target,,,,worked for me,,he a cool guy,,,
You knew Carlos Hathcock? Wow!

Reactions: karlvv