Took a chance today.

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
I don't know. Its my first build. How high is too high?

The buffer retainer height is set by how far you screw in the stock buffer tube. The tubes generally have a little notch to fit around the buffer retainer. The notch limits the adjustment to full turns of the buffer tube.

I can't tell what kind of tube that is, but some pistol tubes space off the fixed ring on the tube... I'd hope screwed in "all the way" is right for those. Basically, you want the tube to keep the buffer retainer pin down to catch the buffer only.

Actually- now that I think about it, I might be totally wrong- the BCG is supposed to have a notch on the bottom to ride over the buffer retainer.

Sorry- back to square one.

karlvv

The LEGEND
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 3, 2015
Harlem, GA
Zip code
The buffer retainer height is set by how far you screw in the stock buffer tube. The tubes generally have a little notch to fit around the buffer retainer. The notch limits the adjustment to full turns of the buffer tube.

I can't tell what kind of tube that is, but some pistol tubes space off the fixed ring on the tube... I'd hope screwed in "all the way" is right for those. Basically, you want the tube to keep the buffer retainer pin down to catch the buffer only.

Actually- now that I think about it, I might be totally wrong- the BCG is supposed to have a notch on the bottom to ride over the buffer retainer.

Sorry- back to square one.

When I screwed in the tube I went too far the first time and the upper wouldn't close on the lower so I had to back it out 1 spin.

Reactions: dial1911

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
When I screwed in the tube I went too far the first time and the upper wouldn't close on the lower so I had to back it out 1 spin.

Same way I end up doing it- that sounds right to me.

The buffer is like this one (carbine buffer):

159492.jpg

Not like this (rifle buffer):

upload_2016-8-21_22-33-18.jpeg

karlvv

The LEGEND
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 3, 2015
Harlem, GA
Zip code
I just tried it with my other ar. It is Definitely something with the tube, buffer, or spring. Even with it open the big doesn't go down far enough,in the tube. I tried every combo. Nothing worked with this lower.

Reactions: dial1911

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
It's a good looking build @karlvv and sounds like an easy trial and error fix. Nice job.

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
I just tried it with my other ar. It is Definitely something with the tube, buffer, or spring. Even with it open the big doesn't go down far enough,in the tube. I tried every combo. Nothing worked with this lower.

Well, it sounds like you've got it narrowed down to the problem area. I'd probably do a side by side comparison of the tube, spring, etc. and try to find out what's different.

I'm sure it's nothing major- probably a fairly easy/inexpensive fix.

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
You could grab a milspec tube assembly and stick it on there. $20-$40 bucks and done. Or swap springs out. Pics of the buffer, spring, and tube helps.

Righter13

Student of life
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Greenville SC
Zip code
So both springs and buffers work in the rifle. Do either of them work in the pistol? If not then it's the tube.

karlvv

The LEGEND
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 3, 2015
Harlem, GA
Zip code
You could grab a milspec tube assembly and stick it on there. $20-$40 bucks and done. Or swap springs out. Pics of the buffer, spring, and tube helps.

I just figured it out I think. The inside of the tube is only 6 3/4 inch. My other ar it's 7. It seems like this tube wasn't drilled out deep enough.