Your Favorite Gun For Concealed Carry

GA Firing Line

HOG2K

Hobbyist Photographer
Jan 30, 2016
[QUOTE="Don Durrant]I'm carrying a SKYY CPX-2 today.I have a desantis suede holster for it. Super comfortable.

[/QUOTE]
Your DeSantis is it iwb or owb? Just curious :)

Jerold Cook

Scout
Feb 24, 2016
[QUOTE="Scott]Glock 23, but recently started using an M&P 9c.

[/QUOTE]
This is one of 4 that I have and carry 1 of

Jerold Cook

Scout
Feb 24, 2016
[QUOTE="Mike Weidleman]I had a SCCY CPX2 also. Great little gun. Recently picked up a Glock23 and am working with it. Also bought an xD Mod2 9mm for the wife to start shooting bigger ammo than the little 22 we got for her to learn with. Probably the G23 will be my EDC unless I like the xD better.

[/QUOTE]
this is 1 of 4 I can carry SCCY also can carry the 23 like both of them for conceal carry Believe I also

have a star 45 and the one I like to carry is a 9x18 makrov Bulgrian since the new hollow points

came out

Last edited by a moderator:

~ZENAS~

Tracker
Mar 14, 2016
Mostly carry a glock 26 in a crossbreed supertuck for concealed. I carry a glock 23 on duty and carry it in the crossbreed from time to time. I've even been known to throw a j frame in my pocket in a sticky holster or carry a colt combat commander, but since my defensive training is almost always with the glocks, those are what I carry daily.

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
I've seen many a student trade in that 1911 for a Glock as their daily carry piece. Love my 1911's, but not for defensive use.

Ohiobellboy

Frontiersman
Feb 1, 2016
[QUOTE="Chris Timmerman]I've seen many a student trade in that 1911 for a Glock as their daily carry piece. Love my 1911's, but not for defensive use.

[/QUOTE]
Hey Chris, can you elaborate a little more on this post? I've been looking at a Colt Defender for a summer carry piece. My G23 is just a little large for me for when I'm dressed light.

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
Mike,

It's more about the functionality of the handgun vs. the size. The 1911 is a classic design and a great gun, but when it was designed we were also using bi-planes for dog fights. The advancements in firearms have put better options on the table for a lot of people. The 1911 (especially small frame ones) can be incredibly sensitive to ammo and very finicky to get running reliably. The 1911's also tend to weigh more than polymer pistols of similar size and shape. The manual safety......I get that it is all personal preference, but not having to worry about one additional step when putting the pistol into use is a nice benefit. Most polymer pistols are also more rounded and better suited to daily carry.

I guess the real heart of the matter for me is that I've seen plenty of 1911 pistols have issues during a 3 day handgun class. They need tuned, or lubed, or this, or that.... way, way more than Glocks, M&P's, or Springfield xD 's. Every time it's the same story of talking to the student and them telling the instructors by Sunday afternoon that his 1911 is getting retired to the safe for one of the previous mentioned polymer framed guns. Greg Ellifritz of Active Response Training had a great article discussing this exact topic on 1911's. I love my 1911's and have several, but they aren't the fighting gun my G19 or G34 is. Just my experience and .02 cents.

PS - Have you looked a a G43 for a light summer carry gun? I recently picked one up to compliment my G42 and G19....nice size little pistol that virtually disappears with an appendix carry holster and a t-shirt.

Ohiobellboy

Frontiersman
Feb 1, 2016
[QUOTE="Chris Timmerman]Mike,
It's more about the functionality of the handgun vs. the size. The 1911 is a classic design and a great gun, but when it was designed we were also using bi-planes for dog fights. The advancements in firearms have put better options on the table for a lot of people. The 1911 (especially small frame ones) can be incredibly sensitive to ammo and very finicky to get running reliably. The 1911's also tend to weigh more than polymer pistols of similar size and shape. The manual safety......I get that it is all personal preference, but not having to worry about one additional step when putting the pistol into use is a nice benefit. Most polymer pistols are also more rounded and better suited to daily carry.

I guess the real heart of the matter for me is that I've seen plenty of 1911 pistols have issues during a 3 day handgun class. They need tuned, or lubed, or this, or that.... way, way more than Glocks, M&P's, or Springfield xD 's. Every time it's the same story of talking to the student and them telling the instructors by Sunday afternoon that his 1911 is getting retired to the safe for one of the previous mentioned polymer framed guns. Greg Ellifritz of Active Response Training had a great article discussing this exact topic on 1911's. I love my 1911's and have several, but they aren't the fighting gun my G19 or G34 is. Just my experience and .02 cents.

PS - Have you looked a a G43 for a light summer carry gun? I recently picked one up to compliment my G42 and G19....nice size little pistol that virtually disappears with an appendix carry holster and a t-shirt.

[/QUOTE]
Good info. Thanks.

As for the G43, I really haven't looked at it. My stepson recently bought and XDS and I may check that out and compare it to the G43. I don't think a person could go wrong with either one. I know I've stated on here before I bought my wife an XMD/2 and I really like the way that shoots so I wouldn't have any problems sticking with that brand or style.

Phil (OHGO)

Hunter
Feb 18, 2016
For just over $200.00 you can't beat the SCCY CPX2. I carry it every day. Very reliable handgun!

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
Mike,

The beauty of the G42 or G43 is if you carry a larger Glock normally as I do(G19) and sounds like you do, everything feels the same. Same grip angle, same trigger, same take down, etc. I love comonality between carry weapons.

Dirtbike

NRA Life Member (Everybody should be!)
Feb 3, 2016
The beauty of the G42 or G43 is if you carry a larger Glock normally as I do(G19) and sounds like you do, everything feels the same. Same grip angle, same trigger, same take down, etc. I love comonality between carry weapons.

[/QUOTE]
I've been looking at a G43 pretty hard lately, especially for summer carry when I'm out on the bike, with the Blue Label pricing it's priced really nice!

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
The only down side is it is a proprietary magazine, at least with a G26 you can use 19 or 17 mags if you feel like it...but that's pretty minor. G42 for pocket carry, G43 for lightweight summer carry, G19 normal carry.....G34 w/light for Oh Shit carry.....gotta have your bases covered!

Ohiobellboy

Frontiersman
Feb 1, 2016
[QUOTE="Phil]For just over $200.00 you can't beat the SCCY CPX2. I carry it every day. Very reliable handgun!

[/QUOTE]
I carried one for about a year. Bought my G23 and then the XDM. A buddy at work had sold his M&P when he needed cash and never replaced it. I ended up selling him my CPX2 when he was ready. Nice carry gun with high capacity for a small gun but that damn trigger just killed my finger after about 70 rounds at the range. I've actually thought of getting another one though. lol

Ohiobellboy

Frontiersman
Feb 1, 2016

[/QUOTE]
Makes sense. I've been carrying my 23 since I got it. I'll look around some more for a 43.

Last edited by a moderator: