Your choice in self-defense ammo... one prosecuter's view

Howard Law

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
Massad Ayoob on choice of self-defense weapon and ammo

I carry hollow points in all my self defense revolvers and pistols. Ayoob wrote an interesting article about how things went in a recent self defense type case. Leaving the Politicians out of the issue, but sticking to strictly the legal aspects and of course how the Media would play it, I'm not too concerned should a prosecutor try to make an issue of it.

I'm also not a big fan of safety's on self defense weapons. There might just not be enough time to flip the lever or whatever plus I might be sort of rushed.

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
I also carry hollow points and believe that in a court room setting it would prove to be a benefit since they reduce the chance of over penetration or bullets passing through the BG. As for the manual safety issue, I personally believe that many police departments carry Glocks because they are a quality built gun and because they can buy them at a really good price. It is no secret that I am not a Glock fan and that I do lean towards guns with a manual safety (although I carry the LCP most often and it does not have one). A gun with a manual safety, IMO, takes no more time to shoot than a gun without. I was raised shooting shotguns and from my earliest memory it was drilled into my head as the gun comes to the shoulder the safety goes off, as the gun is lowered the safety goes on. I have learned the same method in shooting handguns for 30 years. In fact, as I draw the LCP I often automatically swipe off the safety even though it doesn't exist.

As I have stated before, a very good friend of mine is a well respected defense attorney in Indiana. He says that unless you yourself have altered the gun or the ammunition it comes down to a question of if it was a good shoot or not 100% of the time. To paraphrase him: Was it reasonable to shoot the BG? Was it reasonable to shoot the BG that many times? This case shows yet again that when a shooting involves a factory gun filled with factory ammunition the equipment choice tends to produce smoke with no fire to be found. Although it will never quit being talked about on gun forums, I am going along with the guy that would be defending me in a court room setting..........God forbid.

Yogi 117

Woodsman
Jun 8, 2012
Salem OR
Always enjoy reading Ayoob's articles. Totally with ya on this viewpoint! I too, carry nothing but hollow points & weapons with no safeties, Kahr & Glock! Yogi 8)