Winchester model 94 30-30 rifle

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
WinchesterModel90-30-30Win1.jpg

Last week me and my Range Rat Partner where making the rounds and I spied this old Winchester Model 94 30-30 Win sitting on the shelf. They wanted $300.00 plus for it. I offered $250.00 including taxes. No go.

John Browning designed this one for Winchester back in 1894 and since then they’ve sold a million or so of them. Back in the Day, this one was hyped as “The Gun That Won The West”. At 30 inches total length with a 20” inch barrel she’s shorter than the Sportser that was 42 ½ inches.

Going by the 2901XXX she was made in 1966. Which is a shame because had she been made before 1964 she’d be worth a few bucks. Back in 1964 to keep up with the competition Winchester stopped using solid machined parts and started making them out of stamped metal and hollow roll pins. Bad move. Later they added a safety switch another bad idea. After 1994 they went back to using machined parts.

WinchesterModel90-30-30Win3.jpg

This one is top ejector model, which means a scope has to be either mounted forward or on the side.

She’s got some pitted spots, and some surface rust starting out. Right where the forearm meets the receiver is where someone liked to grip her for carry and it shows. Also the wood needs some restoration. I’ve found that Birchwood Casey Barricade works great on metal. Their Stock rejuvenator enhances old wood surfaces. So she’s going to get some attention in those areas.
I’d suspect she was someone’s old deer rifle from the wear and spent some time in a closet until it got sold. The guys at the shop had started cleaning her up since last week but back then it was obvious she’d been sitting for awhile.

Yesterday after I bought a Ruger GP100 from the place they took the $250.00 offer. A bargain sometimes may not be something you need to buy but at a price you can’t refuse.

After I get her shaped up, it’s range trip time.

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
Those 94 lever guns are neat. I have a saddle rings carbine 32 special 16"barrel.
Nice fine.

RICHGCOOP

DROID3 - Tap talk