Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

dougiemac

Lord of Chaos
Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia
Why don't people train? That's actually a good question. In fact, not just a good question but one of the most important questions to ask those that own a gun.

The great instructor Jeff Cooper said, "Owning a handgun doesn’t make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." He could not have been any more right. I grew up around guns, owned guns nearly all my life, and carried a gun for nearly 20 years, but with the exception of NRA safety and CCW "training" (which I hesitate to call it "training"), I had never received proper gun fighting training until a year ago.

Let me preface, the right fighting gun training from the right school and the right instructor is powerful to one's soul. It completely "let me off of my leash". I was no longer constrained to think a certain way, however I was given a sense of empowerment and freedom in the arena of saving lives, my life in the midst of immanent danger. I would highly recommend seeking qualified gun frighting training. I would rather have one gun and spend thousands of dollars on training and ammo than thousands of dollars on guns and ammo and then spend no money on training. Training is vital.

- Without training, you're only pretending.

Here's a great story I came across that discusses the question, "Why don't people train?" Where the author points out the typical reasons why people don't train.
  • Time
  • Expense
  • Accessibility
  • Scheduling
  • Lack of motivation
  • Lack of incentive
  • Lack of understanding
Does this sound like you? Have you used one of those reasonings for not training? I know I have in the past. Hell, I still do now when it comes to working out. Remember we make time for what is important to us. And what could be more important that saving your life and the lives that you love?

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
For a lot of folks I think it takes an eye opening experience like a break in, or being mugged or threatened on the street. It's easy to put it off because it does take time, patience, money, and a lot of repetition.
I certainly don't do as much training as I should, but I feel like I have so much experience with firearms I have a good base knowledge. (as I'm sure lots of people falsely assume :D )
For the majority of my day I'm at my desk at home working. Whenever a car goes by I draw and dryfire my CCW at a book in the adjacent room. That little bit of training has taught me what it takes to quickly and cleanly produce my pistol without it getting hung up on my clothes and into a firing position quickly.
Hey, it's a start.

Reactions: Cobalt 60

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
I shoot mostly as a hobby, but after my first training class I realized shooting is really only fun when you have real goals and challenge yourself to reach them.

Just wish I had more time to shoot OR train! Really want some formal long range training to master my 308

Reactions: Laufen

Cobalt 60

Hunter
Mar 24, 2015
United States
I have taken a couple of classes that would be considered "training". However, it is very difficult to train by yourself if you don't have a good place to do it - and I don't. Most of my training is pin shooting and USPSA. I hope to take more classes htis year.

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
My only training right now consists of draw and fire with airsoft blow-back pistols. Not much, I know. It's something though, and I can do it in my back yard without having Cobb Co. SWATing me.

More than anything with me it's time. Between work, school, baby, and AF-R I am stretched as it is.

Reactions: Cobalt 60

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
I trained in the Army but I haven't done anything since then. Mostly I am just lazy and don't like being told what to do. ;)

Continue being lazy!

mind blown

TattooedGunner

Frontiersman
Mar 31, 2015
Cedartown, GA
Zip code
I have taken one two day class and two "alumni days" through Suarez.

I've been around guns all of my life, and had carried for 3-4 years before taking training. I had no idea how much I didn't know.

My next class is going to be a force on force class.

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
I have been battling a shoulder problem. This my strong side so even practicing drawing a pistol or shouldering a rifle has been difficult. Injury can be an issue as well.

Reactions: Lokidogg