What To Do Before EMS Arrives

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
Since epi-pens were brought up. I'll bring up another thing to consider.

There are different ones for adults and children. The children's one is identical in function but has half of the medication. The children's ones are called the "epi-pen Jr." , be careful using an adult one on a child, but the children's one can be given to an adult.

Reactions: Red Dawn

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
I just saw where the price of Epi pens is up to $600 each due to the maker having a monopoly on the product. There is a $100 off coupon for those who cannot afford the $600 price tag!
Yep. And we have to keep multiples on hand for our child with a peanut allergy. One at home, one at school, plus another for travel.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
Yep. And we have to keep multiples on hand for our child with a peanut allergy. One at home, one at school, plus another for travel.
I can't say for sure. But see if your doctor will prescribe and teach you how to pull the medication up yourself. The medicine is cheap, it's the plastic delivery system that costs so much.

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
I can't say for sure. But see if your doctor will prescribe and teach you how to pull the medication up yourself. The medicine is cheap, it's the plastic delivery system that costs so much.
We've got an annual check up approaching. Thanks for the advice.

By the way, what is your opinion on the expiration dates?

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
We've got an annual check up approaching. Thanks for the advice.

By the way, what is your opinion on the expiration dates?

This is purely anecdotal and not any official advice obviously. Epinephrine doesn't last that long, but there has been a study that showed its still mostly functional after its expired. The problem is that there are other factors that effect it. Heat/cold/light all effect it and can make it less potent.

With as important as it is, and I understand how much it costs, using non-expired is best. But it wouldn't hurt to keep expired ones around for a year as a back up. There also shouldn't be any harm using an expired one, it just may not work as well.

Lokidogg

Woodsman
Mar 28, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
I recently developed an alergy to bees. Can't afford an epipen. Well I did some checking and the company that manufactures them REFUSES to give any kind of discount and refuses to even help people on Medicare. I can get hardon pills but can't get something that will save my life. That's messed up.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I recently developed an alergy to bees. Can't afford an epipen. Well I did some checking and the company that manufactures them REFUSES to give any kind of discount and refuses to even help people on Medicare. I can get hardon pills but can't get something that will save my life. That's messed up.

So you may have seen this, @DarthVader may find it helpful too.

https://www.epipen.com/copay-offer/

If that doesn't work ask your doctor about adrenaclick, admittedly I don't know much about it because I'm not a MD or pharmacist. But it would be worth asking

http://adrenaclick.com

Lokidogg

Woodsman
Mar 28, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
Trust me. My wife has tried everything possible to get one. We even have a unicef doctor that can't even get one.

Lokidogg

Woodsman
Mar 28, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
True but the adrenal pen wouldn't help but prolong until you get help. Doesn't counter the reaction.

Lokidogg

Woodsman
Mar 28, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
That's what I have done. I have a vile and syringes. But I can't carry them out with me because of some gray legal areas. You know what I mean.

Reactions: AtlMedic

erkinator 2

Smiling Handyman
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 1, 2015
Zip code
So, I`m not to use it on my wife for short periods around her neck during sex?

World Class Dick Wrangler
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Sep 5, 2015
Da SAV
Zip code
If I pistol whip someone on the head for being a moron, it would only be right to apply a tourniquet to their neck to stop the bleeding...right?

World Class Dick Wrangler
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Sep 5, 2015
Da SAV
Zip code
Serious question: is there somewhere a civilian can buy a few bags and IV cath?