Weekly Food Prep

GA Firing Line

dougiemac

Lord of Chaos
Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia
Does anyone prep their meals and cook them for the week? If you do, what's some great tasting, healthy meals you can make for the week?

Gunsite Grad

Charter member
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 25, 2015
Druid Hills & Kennworthstock
Zip code
0c34d21a58ca77dbf5a469c925387b9b.jpg

Reactions: Michael Haase

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Does anyone prep their meals and cook them for the week? If you do, what's some great tasting, healthy meals you can make for the week?
No I don't, but I should at least plan to some degree. My wife is a fantastic cook, but our at home meals she prepares are extraordinarily expensive. It'd be good to create a repertoire of inexpensive, healthy meals that we can have ready in short order.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

jloneill17

Hunter
Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2015
Canon, GA
Zip code
I've taken boneless chicken breasts and grilled up ten of them and throw in a ziplock. then for dinner either chop up for a salad or pull one out to heat up with veggies. same with turkey burgers. mix some soy sc, garlic, and teriyaki glaze, grill a bunch, put in Tupperware and use during the week. I usually use the sc mixture to cook some onions and shrooms to put on top of burger patty, no bun.

erkinator 2

Smiling Handyman
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 1, 2015
Zip code
No I don't, but I should at least plan to some degree. My wife is a fantastic cook, but our at home meals she prepares are extraordinarily expensive. It'd be good to create a repertoire of inexpensive, healthy meals that we can have ready in short order.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Wife bought a book, dinner in less than 30 minutes. Not bad content,everyday foods and not unhealthy

Reactions: Laufen

erkinator 2

Smiling Handyman
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 1, 2015
Zip code
winter is easy, chili, soups, stews and other roast items in crock pot. Can make a whole batch and freeze

Reactions: Andy and Laufen

Brian1126

Scout
Aug 12, 2015
Orlando, FL
I've started but mine are really plain and simple during this pretty intense cut. I've been considering just using a meal prep service since with my schedule and home life meal prep is very difficult.

erkinator 2

Smiling Handyman
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 1, 2015
Zip code
My neighbors have ingredients delivered and they just have to mix,add your spice and cook.

Aug 12, 2015
Cincinnati, OH
I usually try to make everything on Sunday. It is pretty simple, just Chicken, Broccoli, and Rice. I will usually bake 3lbs of frozen chicken breasts that I get at Kroger for only 6-8 bucks. Then I will cook up 2 or 3 frozen steam packets of broccoli in the microwave. These are usually a buck a piece at Kroger. Then I will cook-up a few cups of rice (remember, 2 to 1 ratio of water to rice) on the stove. I cut up the chicken and put them in zip-lock containers. Then I put the rice in a container and the broccoli in a container. In the mornings, I will prep that day's lunch by portioning some rice chicken and broccoli into a container and to add flavor, I add salsa on top of it. As you can see, this is pretty healthy, easy, and super cheap and if you portion how much you eat, can make several days worth of meals.

Just my 2 cents.

Stay Safe and Stay Humble

Reactions: Jacob Villers

Jacob Villers

Woodsman
Aug 16, 2015
Elizabeth WV
I have found a decent sytem for myself lately. It is pretty easy and has worked so far. I think soon I may start adding some red meat when I can afford it.

I have been cooking about 8 lbs of chicken every weekend. I usually do it while I'm washing clothes since there is a lot of down time while they are washing or drying. I separate the chicken into 4 or 5 piles and season each batch differently. Usually they are lemon pepper, jerk chicken, Italian dressing, some type of BBQ dry rub and one oddball. After I cook them all I let them set on a plate lined with paper towels to completely dry. Then I put them into tupperware in meal sized portions and place them in the refrigerator.

When it's time to go to work I start cooking my egg whites and while they are cooking I pack my lunch bucket. I work a 12 hour shift and usually have 2 meals and two snacks while I'm there. I put in two of the containers of chicken, two rice cups (usually jasmine or wild), two pieces of fruit and a frozen steamer bag of vegetables. The frozen veg works as a great ice pack to keep the food cold. By the time I have it all packed my eggs are done so I eat them.

Now I head to work. By the time I get to work get showered, dressed, complete shift change and get my busy work done its time for a snack. Then a couple hours later a peach, couple more hours later chicken rice and half the veg, couple hours the same again, couple more hours and a banana with peanut butter. In my locker at work I keep some canned chicken and rice cups because if I am absolutely starving the only other options are vending machines or pizza. ***My boss has in his possession a bag of fun sized candy bars that I bought, if I am not strong that day I have to grovel with him to give me one. I do have one or two a week because I have learned that if I deny myself something that I crave for more than a couple days I will end up eating a thousand of them.

Soooooo in summation yes I do cook a bunch of food to get me through most of my week.

Reactions: Green Panther

Dinky Dau

Over Sexed Sr. Citizen
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 12, 2015
Zip code
Once a month I will make a pasta sauce, with ground beef, bell pepper, onions, mushrooms, and seasoning and cook it down...With that I can make Spaghetti, lasagna , egg plant Parmesan, Veal Parmesan, Chicken Cordon Blu, and Pizza to just name a few.

Aug 12, 2015
Las Vegas NV
I hard boil eggs ahead of time. I buy the cheap celery by the head and cut that up for grab and go. Brown rice, too. I try to do as much prep to what ever items I can when I buy them, that way when it's time to cook I'm not prepping as much.