Vortex Sparc AR initial review (Picture Heavy)

GA Firing Line

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
So I got a good deal on a Vortex Sparc AR using a coupon code and a fathers day sale, but they can be had for $199.99 all over the internet. I still plan on picking up a Aimpoint PRO down the road but I think I am going to hold off and try and get a better deal on black friday.

The Sparc AR is new this year so reviews were not as common and googling "Sparc AR review" just pulled up a bunch of reviews on the Sparc II on an AR. The Sparc AR has the same lifetime warranty as the rest of the vortex optics. According to the product info the Sparc AR is waterproof, shockproof, fog proof, paralax free with unlimited eye relief, and has anti-reflective coatings. It has a rubber case around it and has lens covers attached that clip together to stay out of the way. The case is removable but I am not sure how the lens covers are attached under the case. The battery life is between 300-3000 hours depending on brightness, which there are 10 settings with the two lowest supposedly for NV use. There is a 12 hour auto shut off as well. Turning it on is done by pressing the up arrow and it returns to the last brightness setting, to turn off you press and hold the down arrow for 5 seconds. Turning it on has been very quick and reliably goes to the setting it was on before it was turned off.

The main things that made this stand out to me over the rest of the optics in the same price range is the warranty and how they really streamlined the body of it.

As you can see in the pictures below, they utilized the base as the battery compartment and control housing. The turrets have ramps leading up to them to prevent snagging and the turret caps have a nub to use to make adjustments. I like that the battery compartment isnt up high or to the side like many other reddots.

IMG_3511.JPG

IMG_3512.JPG

When you open the box you get the optic, manual (very thorough), cleaning cloth, mounting plates and screws (more on these later), aaa battery, and a torx wrench.

IMG_3509.JPG

The Sparc AR has the battery compartment and controls in the base of it. There are two options when mounting it absolute or lower 1/3 co-witness. This is set up by putting a spacer between the base and the mounting plate to adjust the height. I went with absolute co-witness so I did not need the spacer. There are two sets of screws in different lengths depending on if you use the spacer or not. Below you can see the spacer and mounting plate

IMG_3515.JPG

The mounting plate attaches to the body of the optic with 4 of the included torx screws.
IMG_3517.JPG

The Sparc AR uses a single AAA battery, Something I noticed was the battery cap and where it screws on seems very sturdy and screwed on easily and I snug it up tight without feeling like I was going to break it.

IMG_3516.JPG

From What I can tell it seems very well built and has good fit and finish, especially for its cost and being made in China. The dot isnt as nice as an Aimpoints but it is still very functional and picks up easy enough the little I have played with it. It is a bit overcast at my house so I can't say how it does in bright sunlight yet. I am going to my in-laws farm this weekend so I will get it sighted in and update y'all how it does shooting.

I was admittedly a little hesitant to buy an inexpensive optic. But after reading tons of positive reviews of Vortex's other products and getting some advise from some fellow SET members I decided to give it a try, worst case it has a lifetime no questions asked warranty. One thing I found interesting is that there are apparently a lot of police departments that have vortex as an approved optic for their officers patrol rifles. I know this doesn't mean that it is as good as an aimpoint or eotech, but I still found it interesting and gave me some additional confidence in the purchase.

Feel free to ask any questions about it if anyone has any.

IMG_3518.JPG

IMG_3519.JPG

IMG_3521.JPG

IMG_3523.JPG

EugenFJR

An anchor on a ship of fools.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
I'm going to assume its a sparc II, the sparc I ate batteries pretty quickly, from what I was told. And I don't mean leaving it on. I mean leaving the battery in the unit and it being dead a week later when you got to turn it on...so you might want to test that, and check it every week or so to see if it comes on or not.
That being said, Vortex makes excellent optics and red dot optics, the strike fire is my go to budget optic. When I get around to it, I'll put high end Vortex glass on all of my rifles.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I'm going to assume its a sparc II, the sparc I ate batteries pretty quickly, from what I was told. And I don't mean leaving it on. I mean leaving the battery in the unit and it being dead a week later when you got to turn it on...so you might want to test that, and check it every week or so to see if it comes on or not.
That being said, Vortex makes excellent optics and red dot optics, the strike fire is my go to budget optic. When I get around to it, I'll put high end Vortex glass on all of my rifles.

Its a Sparc AR, the Sparc II is a different model (picture below is a sparc II). From what I gather they just released the Sparc AR earlier this year. I dont think it is intended as a replacement since it wont work on anything other than an AR or similar since the base/riser is not removable.

rd_sparc2_no-mount_fr-t.jpg

Reactions: EugenFJR

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
It looks good. A friend of mine just bought the Sparc II and we're going to sight it in tomorrow morning. I was pretty impressed with the 2moa dot actually. The edges were relatively sharp, and it didn't appear to wash out too much at full power.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
It looks good. A friend of mine just bought the Sparc II and we're going to sight it in tomorrow morning. I was pretty impressed with the 2moa dot actually. The edges were relatively sharp, and it didn't appear to wash out too much at full power.

It is bigger than I thought it would be, its not huge by anymeans but it is between the size of a aimpoint PRO and a T1. I believe the Sparc II is larger but a little lighter.

Reactions: Laufen

EugenFJR

An anchor on a ship of fools.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
Its a Sparc AR, the Sparc II is a different model (picture below is a sparc II). From what I gather they just released the Sparc AR earlier this year. I dont think it is intended as a replacement since it wont work on anything other than an AR or similar since the base/riser is not removable.

View attachment 16835

I didn't know they had a new AR optic, thats cool. The Strikefire's I like at the price point of $150 ( sometimes PSA has them for $100 bucks, thats a awesome deal.) The only drawback for me about the Strikefire is the weird battery it takes, if it was a "AA" or a "AAA" battery, it would be about perfect. What did your optic cost, if you don't mind me asking.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I didn't know they had a new AR optic, thats cool. The Strikefire's I like at the price point of $150 ( sometimes PSA has them for $100 bucks, thats a awesome deal.) The only drawback for me about the Strikefire is the weird battery it takes, if it was a "AA" or a "AAA" battery, it would be about perfect. What did your optic cost, if you don't mind me asking.

I paid 145 shipped for mine. the AAA battery is nice. But I will say I have thought about the benefits of one that takes CR123 batteries so I can keep a couple spares in the grip that will work in the optic or the light.

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
Finally- an AR optic less than $400 that has an actual round shaped dot. I hate the $30 red dots that have something shaped like Haley's Comet with a big red tail streaming off the side at about the 2:00 position.

It looks like someone put some thought into the design of that one. The clean lines/smooth sides and offering different spacer plates are really nice features.

Good write up-

boss_hawg

Marksman
Jul 13, 2015
Zip code
Question: have you had to use Vortex's excellent customer service yet?

boss_hawg

Marksman
Jul 13, 2015
Zip code
Yes, Vortex customer service is excellent. I don't know what kind of CS Aimpoint has because I've never had to call them.

Reactions: Strider12