Ultimate suppressed upper?

Faktory 47

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
Well fortunately it will be ran soley surpressed. Now to find a rail....
10-4. Just want to be sure folks understand that this barrel was purpose designed and not the typical plug n play AR barrel.

Too many good rail options out there. Looking for picatinny, keymod or mlok?

Righter13

Student of life
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Greenville SC
Zip code
10-4. Just want to be sure folks understand that this barrel was purpose designed and not the typical plug n play AR barrel.

Too many good rail options out there. Looking for picatinny, keymod or mlok?
Keymod or m-lok. I have one of each on different rifles right now but can't decide which I like better. I'm leaning towards a M-lok frail from MI.
https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1266

Most importantly I want the rail to end right where the barrel ends.

Don't want to recess the can.

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
That 10inch rail looks just about right.

How much of the 11.5" is actually recessed into the receiver?
For a flush fit to barrel shoulder, you need about 3/4" offset. In other words, 10.75" rail is the max for an 11.5" barrel. I'll be running a 10" rail.

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
A little more info from Sionics Master Armorer.

Just to add some additional information to this. The first batch of barrels was done for a specific client (local SWAT) that wanted to replace their Über-heavy 11.5" piston guns. The goal was to trim weight, reduce gassing and maintain reliability with their duty ammo. They also stated that these would only be used with suppressors and the likelihood of shooting without one was very slim. However, we wanted to ensure that they would run un-suppressed in an emergency.

Once we had the basics down we then used a variety of port sizes and conducted testing with several types of ammo and buffer combinations. The end result was a suppressed SBR that would cycle and function with a wide variety of ammunition, and utilize standard components (no adjustable gas block).

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
So what rail is 10.75 lol
The only one that I know for certain, is the KAC URX II, III & 3.1 midlength. I believe that the KMR is actually a little over 10". I actually prefer a little shorter. My URX 3.1 upper would not allow use of the AAC brake mount. Because of the difference in design between it and the blackout / brakeout mounts, I couldn't use the Brake on my upper. But for a direct thread like the Grunt, I'm not sure it would matter.

Righter13

Student of life
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Greenville SC
Zip code
The only one that I know for certain, is the KAC URX II, III & 3.1 midlength. I believe that the KMR is actually a little over 10". I actually prefer a little shorter. My URX 3.1 upper would not allow use of the AAC brake mount. Because of the difference in design between it and the blackout / brakeout mounts, I couldn't use the Brake on my upper. But for a direct thread like the Grunt, I'm not sure it would matter.
Well I'm sure you'll get yours assemebeld before I do. So I'll wait and see what you're looks like lol.

The MI rail is 10.5 so I may go with that and call it a day.

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
Well I'm sure you'll get yours assemebeld before I do. So I'll wait and see what you're looks like lol.

The MI rail is 10.5 so I may go with that and call it a day.
Maybe. The barrel won't be here for a few weeks. I should have it done by the end of February.

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
Solid choice. Sionics actually uses a lot of MI rails on their complete uppers and rifles.

I'm going to use a blem upper from BCM. They have finally worked through all of their old stock and the current blems are the BCM4 receivers. I've used a lot of BCM blem uppers and have rarely found a flaw. Still debating on the rail. Probably going to use a KMR-A, but not fully decided yet.

Righter13

Student of life
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Greenville SC
Zip code
Solid choice. Sionics actually uses a lot of MI rails on their complete uppers and rifles.

I'm going to use a blem upper from BCM. They have finally worked through all of their old stock and the current blems are the BCM4 receivers. I've used a lot of BCM blem uppers and have rarely found a flaw. Still debating on the rail. Probably going to use a KMR-A, but not fully decided yet.
I've used two of the BCM blem uppers before and they were both def blems but just cosmetic. They have worked fine with no issues.

Just need a gas tube and block. (Plus the can @DoglegArms )

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
I've used two of the BCM blem uppers before and they were both def blems but just cosmetic. They have worked fine with no issues.

Just need a gas tube and block. (Plus the can @DoglegArms )
Yeah, it's the luck of the draw with blems. The ones I've had were really, really minor. Like a spec in the anodizing. But I really like the BCM4 uppers because they have a tight fit to the barrel extension. And for $80, they're hard to beat.

Righter13

Student of life
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Greenville SC
Zip code
I have the same in 15". To tell the truth I wish it was a little less thin, but it's been solid. I shoot with a sling, and haven't noticed any deflection of the front sight at 100 yards.
Good thing I didn't go with te lightweight model then lol

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
I am curious why not make a "press fit" style gas block with a reduced inlet port?

I know pressing the gas block on would not be a home job for many, but using a bearing heater or hot plate to heat the gas block before installing would create a tight seal once installed/cooled and eliminate the possibility of gas leaks around the block.

This would keep barrel options open and allow you to go back to normal gas if you wanted (if you were able to get the gas block back off that is....)

Below is a CAD (crappy ass drawing) of what I am trying to explain.

gas block.JPG

Edit: It would possibly work as a non press fit, but I just feel it would has gas leakes around it otherwise...

Last edited: