Trimming your brass

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
I use my lathe to trim my brass to length. You can also use your battery drill to do it. I use the LEE stud and cutter. I put the shell holder stud in a chuck as a handle.

Try it you'll like it.

Case triming with your lathe
RICHGCOOP

DROID3 - Tap talk

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
The thing that I really like about the Lee case trimming system is that there is no adjustment necessary and the results are extremely uniform. I use a battery powered drill to drive mine much like Rich is using his lathe.

The difference in my setup from the way Rich does his is that my case holder is chucked up in the drill. With the single setup of the case in the holder, I trim the case to length and then use my chamfering tool to trim the flashing (mostly on the exterior) from the length-trimmed case. This way I'm not chucking the case into the case holder twice.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
Fred said:
Hmm, great info from both of you. Looks like I need to order a Lee trimmer.
You need to order a cutter and the lock stud (base for the shell holder) as one part number. The shell holder and the case length gauge rod that controls the trim length is another part.

The #90110 cutter and lock stud kit works for all brass up to .475" base diameter. There is another part number for the "large" version.

The shell holder and case length gauge kits are purchased for each cartridge size you want to trim.

Click on this link to Lee's web page for more information on their case trimming tools.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
Denny4kids said:
I only reload one caliber that must be trimmed. Here is a link to a review of the trimmer that I use. This trimmer is really fast, really accurate, and really expensive. I use it for 223 and have trimmed !000's of rounds really fast and have never had to adjust the cutter. Den
http://www.accurateshooter.com/gear-reviews/worlds-finest-trimmer-power-case-trimmer/
I find that tool quite interesting.

Of course, it would be virtually useless (with the design shown) for pistol cartridge cases that don't have a shoulder on them.

I didn't see exactly how the "World's Finest Trimmer" can be adjusted for cartridge length. The maker talked about a couple of screws but didn't explain how they adjust the length.

I have a few questions about the unit's performance:
  • Do chips wind up inside the trimmed case at all?
  • How much burr is left on the inside and outside edges of the case?
  • What controls the alignment of the case during the trimming (so that the trimmed mouth is at right angles to the case's centerline)? If the cartridge cases have different wall thicknesses, does that affect the clearance between the neck and the tool, thus creating a potential for misalignment?

D

Denny4kids

Skip I really like this trimmer. I can't say for sure that no chips go into the case but I can say that I don't remember seeing any. As the cutter rotates the angle of the cutter forces the chips away from the shell. Only the smallest burr is left. Enough to feel with your fingernail. Many are burr free. To me a non-issue. The case centers on the neck of the case. With my finger on the trigger of the drill I just insert a case and pull the trigger. You just push the case in the tool and you fell it cutting for a second then its done. Even if you push the case back and forth it doesn't cut anymore and then twist the case a quarter turn to square up and de-burr. I think the company web site explains the operation better than I do. I haven't adjusted mine yet and the instructions say to loosen the screws and slide the cutter. This thing works.
Next time I will mount the drill in a vice and wear a glove. The shell doesn't try to spin at all. the part of the tool that touches the shell is on a bearing. I trimmed 500 and my shell holding hand was a little sore. Den

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
Cool. Thanks for the feedback.

Now, if somebody wants to give me $70 to buy one, I'll test it thoroughly. Until then, I'll probably just use my Lee trimmer.