Training for a shooting situation

American Revival Apparel Company

Machi

Hunter
Mar 28, 2016
Anyone have any tips or advice on how to train for a situation where I may need to use my firearm?

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
That is a really broad brush stroke.

First and foremost, know the law inside and out when it comes to lethal force and concealed carry in Ohio.

As for the firearm, train, practice, and train, practice some more! Get to the point you can hit exactly what you need to on command. Draw from the holster ALOT! That first shot from the holster will most likely be the most important one if something really happens.

Learn proper technique for hand switching and be proficient with your non dominant hand. Most people underestimate how important it is.

This is just the tip of the iceberg if you want to truely be ready. Above all....be situationally aware. Keeping yourself out of a gun fight is betting than being in one!

Last edited by a moderator:

~ZENAS~

Tracker
Mar 14, 2016
The only thing I would add to what Chris said is also try training with your heart rate up. This will help simulate high stress situations a little more. Run some laps, then shoot.

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
The other thing you can do for stress is shoot competition. Something like USPSA, where you're shooting on a shot timer, causes different physiological reactions in the body. Forced exertion is good, but the stress of competition causes more of a chemical dump of adrenaline, etc. that exercise doesn't. Thanks for bringing that up T.L.

HiPointer

Boom, Got my CCW pistol finall!
Feb 17, 2016
Don't have a heart attack, and remember from another thing I read here if you do have to shoot make sure you can justify it and don't talk to anyone until you talk to an lawyer!