Taurus TCP 380

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

max

Hunter
Jul 16, 2013
Northern Idaho
I am looking for a smaller auto to carry when the weather is hot and clothing is restricted. I have looked at the Ruger LCP, S&W Body Guard, Kel Tec and the Taurus TCP. Out of the ones I looked at the Taurus seem to fit my had the best. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with any of these and what you would recommend.

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
I've fired the S&W Body Guard and Kel Tec. I also checked out the Sig P-239. I own a Ruger LCP and a Ruger LC380 both worth checking out. We have local ranges which rent out by the hour for use. If you can find one of those or have a Range Rat Partner who will let you try his or hers have at it. The Taurus TCP is one I've had no experience with.

R

rayzer007

Many of us swear by the Ruger LCP. Many wouldn't buy a Taurus. If you're betting your life .... LCP is the way to go. MHO!

Ray

TRIGGER_1

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
Athens, GA USA
One thing to look at which is a big issue to me is the weight of the gun......

If you plan on pocket carrying this will be an issue for you....

All of the guns you mentioned are decent guns.....

Taurus would be my last choice though for a pocket auto 380.... ;)...

redmond

Woodsman
Jun 8, 2012
Western WA
I have the LCP and carry it every day. My son-in-law has the TCP and carries it daily too. We have both shot each other's pistol at the range, side by side. They both shoot about the same. Long trigger pull (as designed), trigger finger sting, very snappy, accuracy OK out to about 10 yards, no failures for a couple hundred rounds, etc. I prefer the LCP, but they are VERY similar.

The TCP has an internet reputation as being less dependable than an EDC should be. Depending on which site you go to, so does the LCP (and you can find similar comments about virtually any pistol/brand including all of your choices).

Bottom line - rent all and see which one shoots best for you and meets your quality expectations. Once you decide and buy it, verify operational dependability to your standards.

Always use a holster - especially for pocket carry.

max

Hunter
Jul 16, 2013
Northern Idaho
Thank you all for the info. Unfortunately in SD there are no ranges to shoot at nor do they rent guns so it is trial and error. I will continue to look and see what one fits me the best and then hope for the best.

3Coyotes

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Effington, Ohio
max said:
Thank you all for the info. Unfortunately in SD there are no ranges to shoot at nor do they rent guns so it is trial and error. I will continue to look and see what one fits me the best and then hope for the best.
I did that with my LCP. There are now 3 in the family. Slight price difference from the TCP, but not a horribly so. For the many hundreds of thousands produced, even on this forum, you hear very few complaints about Ruger's offering.

It comes down to the way it fits your hand and the quality you can see and feel in workmanship. Good Luck!