Taurus Judge for home defense

Faktory 47

Aimless1

Woodsman
Jan 20, 2013
NW Iowa
BDD- nice catch on the Taurus Judge. I got a chance to shoot one last summer---fun and versatile gun....Loud. I'm thinking I might have to own one.

lws380

Frontiersman
Mar 22, 2010
bigdogdaddy said:
Well I got it. $425 for the Poly Public Defender with a really nice Hogue grip, the factory grip, and some PDX ammo. I love the grip and now I will want one for the other one. So now my wife (and I) have a Judge and a Saiga shotgun upstairs, and a Judge and a Saiga downstairs. If she can't protect herself with those options she probably wasn't meant to be around much longer anyway. :D

I will post pictures soon.

What was your reasoning for the Public Defender vs the other models with longer barrels. Is a longer barrel gun more accurate? Seems like it would be, especially for the long colt ammo. What are your thoughts? I know that when I shot my S&W 442 the first time I was not very good and took me some practice to get good with it. My 4 inch S&W 686 357 I was much more accurate with that longer barrel.

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
Being completely honest, I bought the Public Defender because it was available, in great shape, already had the Hogue grip that I like and the price was reasonable. And yes, I absolutely think the longer barrels are more accurate. When I shot rimfire 9 pin tip I used a Ruger Mark II with the long ( I think 10") bull barrel. Some people would show up at the meets and laugh at that gun, right up to the point that I took their money. But back to the Judge, I view this as two things.

1) A gun that I can't shoot without grinning like an idiot because it is so much fun.

2) A gun for my wife to use in the event that I would be gone to simply point and shoot. She is not a shooter and don't want to be a shooter. Training, practicing, clearing drills are all great ideas but she is not going to do them. She knows the 4 rules of safe handling and she can shoot what she is aiming at reasonably well when no pressure is on. For her this will be a little more than a flash bang grenade with a chance of causing somebody to reevaluate their decision to pick on this house.

Thanks for asking. Definitely a good conversation to have.