GA Firing Line

Rwjeter

Space Force General Freeze.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
Anyone on here have any suggestions on a good pair of binoculars? I'm wanting a quality pair with a ranging reticle. I'm not interested in any of the Laser Range finding ones. I want good old fashioned Mils. No batteries to keep up with that way. Plus it looks it'll help me practice my ranging.

I'm wanting 10x magnification.
Mil ranging reticle
Comfortable for extended viewing
Good warranty.
Glasses friendly

I've been reading on the Steiner 10x42R, Vortex Viper HD 10x50 R/T
(though I believe they have been discontinued), and Leupold BX-T.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
You're in luck, because the price tag will pretty much tell you what you're getting in optics. Optical glass is graded like diamonds, the fewer the impurities, the higher the price. The fewer the impurities, the better starting point you have for a higher end optic.

Find a model with the features you want, price you can stomach, and pull the trigger.

Reactions: Rwjeter

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I only have some inexpensive basic ones, but they do what I need just fine.

Are you sure you wouldn't be better served with a spotting scope as opposed to binoculars?

Rwjeter

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
I only have some inexpensive basic ones, but they do what I need just fine.

Are you sure you wouldn't be better served with a spotting scope as opposed to binoculars?
I want a spotting scope as well, but I want these for scanning, and for scanning I like binos. The spotting scope would be good for stationary targets.

Rwjeter

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
You're in luck, because the price tag will pretty much tell you what you're getting in optics. Optical glass is graded like diamonds, the fewer the impurities, the higher the price. The fewer the impurities, the better starting point you have for a higher end optic.

Find a model with the features you want, price you can stomach, and pull the trigger.
My biggest thing is my glasses. I've looked through everything Academy has, some offer comfortable viewing with them, some don't. But unfortunately none of them have the ranging reticle I want.

Reactions: Laufen

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
My biggest thing is my glasses. I've looked through everything Academy has, some offer comfortable viewing with them, some don't. But unfortunately none of them have the ranging reticle I want.

Get contact lenses. Problem solved.

Rwjeter

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
Get contact lenses. Problem solved.
I have contacts, but I also consider these binos as a SHTF item. In that event contacts will be an issue. Blame the pepper part of my brain. That and I'm typically lazy and don't wear them. Lol

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
I have contacts, but I also consider these binos as a SHTF item. In that event contacts will be an issue. Blame the pepper part of my brain. That and I'm typically lazy and don't wear them. Lol

SmartSelectImage_2017-01-15-09-33-24.png

Damn pepper brains. I love peppers too. I'm eating pepperoncini's and pepper jack cheese right now. ;)

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I want a spotting scope as well, but I want these for scanning, and for scanning I like binos. The spotting scope would be good for stationary targets.
Good point. My binoculars are nothing fancy but work for what I need. A spotting scope is something I want but they are expensive for even the lower end ones from good brands.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Ahh, yeah you'll need to find a set that has some eye cups that screw down for use with glasses.

Rwjeter

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
Good point. My binoculars are nothing fancy but work for what I need. A spotting scope is something I want but they are expensive for even the lower end ones from good brands.
You got that crap right.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
You got that crap right.
The worst part is if I'm going to spend 300ish for a bushnell or low end vortex I might as well save a little more for a higher end one that I won't want to replace. Especially since I want to get into long range shooting.

Rwjeter

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
The worst part is if I'm going to spend 300ish for a bushnell or low end vortex I might as well save a little more for a higher end one that I won't want to replace. Especially since I want to get into long range shooting.
Yeah, vortex should be a good one though. Typically everything I've ever got from them has been awesome. And good warranty.

Reactions: AtlMedic

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
Yeah, vortex should be a good one though. Typically everything I've ever got from them has been awesome. And good warranty.
I've been happy with the ones I've had and the ones my buddies have that I've shot. I'll probably spring for one of the higher end vortex ones when the time comes.