Stolen Valor

GA Firing Line

Would you crucify a guy not knowing all the facts just because you think he or she may be lying?

• Yes, stolen valor is a serious thing and it pisses me off.

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Nah, I take them at their word and then if proven to be wrong I still don't get mad.

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • I have no opinion on the subject. I base my reactions on the moment and how each situation hits me.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I give others the benefit of the doubt unless proven otherwise and then I would be highly disappoint

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters

Bypass

Arrrgghh!!! I'm a pirate.
Mar 25, 2015
Chatsworth, Georgia
Zip code
As I am sure most of you know I am a veteran and I think I have done my part as a lot of you guys have. This stolen valor thing though. Yeah I get why people want to be like us and even pretend to be us but some guys who have actually been there like myself take this stolen valor thing way too far. I was recently on face book and discovered that a guy I don't personally know was crucified and had everyone claiming that he was a faker and he never actually served in the manor he said he did. They spread the accusations all over face book and every other social media outlet they had access to and well it turns out the guy was telling the truth about his service and the guys who perpetrated the crucifying well their names are now mud. I personally have never gotten pissed off about this stolen valor thing. I tend not to judge anyone who claims to have served. I just take them at their word until proven otherwise in which case I generally have nothing to say on the subject. I do get why some guys may blow a fuse at the slightest hint of a stolen valor situation though.

What do you guys think about it? Do you sit back like I do knowing you did your part or do you blow a gasket every time you even think about it?

Reactions: sam and dougiemac

dougiemac

Lord of Chaos
Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia
I think you may need another option in the poll....

"I give others the benefit of the doubt unless proven otherwise and then I would be highly disappointed and upset that the person lied about something very sacred."

- this response would fit between the first and second response you have listed.

Bypass

Mar 25, 2015
Chatsworth, Georgia
Zip code
I think you may need another option in the poll....

"I give others the benefit of the doubt unless proven otherwise and then I would be highly disappointed and upset that the person lied about something very sacred."

- this response would fit between the first and second response you have listed.
Done. BTW, How are you today bro?

dougiemac

Lord of Chaos
Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia
Done. BTW, How are you today bro?

I'm good bro, thanks for asking. :) Not to derail this thread, but my pond is getting closer to completion! I may want to see if I can get a couple young ducklings for the pond. I have like a million tadpoles swimming around right now if you need some frogs.

Reactions: sam

Bypass

Mar 25, 2015
Chatsworth, Georgia
Zip code
I'm good bro, thanks for asking. :) Not to derail this thread, but my pond is getting closer to completion! I may want to see if I can get a couple young ducklings for the pond. I have like a million tadpoles swimming around right now if you need some frogs.
Right on, I have a few frogs in my pond but no tadpoles at the moment.:( I have 2 adult ducks and 9 ducklings at the moment and they are destroying my water hyacinths. :( I had to order some plastic sheeting to keep the ducks from eating the plants and it should be here tomorrow. I hope the plants last that long. I would give you a couple of mine but I can't for the life of me catch them. :/

Reactions: sam and dougiemac

sam

Marksman
Trusted Trader
Apr 8, 2015
byron
Zip code
as many videos have been posted over the years of people claiming to be military,and get called out and are FAKES,it does upset me. I don't understand y people need to lie about being military,or for that matter,lie in general. my son is active duty Army.my dad was a Marine.

I know u all don't watch MTV,CATFISH show.but kinda like that. usually fat guys/gals claming to be thin and sexy.low self worth,or just compulsive liars,either way its just WRONG.IMO

Reactions: dougiemac

dougiemac

Lord of Chaos
Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia
as many videos have been posted over the years of people claiming to be military,and get called out and are FAKES,it does upset me. I don't understand y people need to lie about being military,or for that matter,lie in general. my son is active duty Army.my dad was a Marine.

I know u all don't watch MTV,CATFISH show.but kinda like that. usually fat guys/gals claming to be thin and sexy.low self worth,or just compulsive liars,either way its just WRONG.IMO

It's a sad sickness in my opinion. Most are seeking recognition and respect that they have never received before and the easiest way to get that is donning some articles of clothing. It's very sad. Others are looking to add credibility or legitimacy to their brand...that to me is more upsetting than the previous.

sam

Marksman
Trusted Trader
Apr 8, 2015
byron
Zip code
my son was so proud when he got his 1st unit patch said no more fuzzy,through basic and AIT,was fuzzy!

I know ur not all mtv watching people,but CATFISH was a good show 1st season after that same old shit

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
My military friends don't seem to care to much, most of them don't see why someone would bother faking it because most people don't really give a damn.

That said, when my friends catch a faker in person they love to use it as an opportunity to just absolutely shit on a guy, but it seems mostly for their enjoyment.

fyroc

Developer
Mar 25, 2015
Philadelphia
Zip code
As you guys know I'm not a vet but I was in Iraq as a Security Contractor. My opinion is that it depends how far they go. I don't really judge people anymore because nothing is ever black and white anymore. It's usually some deeper issue with that person in which pretending to have some purpose in life may help them. I met a guy once through a PTSD group who has PTSD because he was mulested as a child.. to strangers he used to just say he was in the Army and his PTSD comes from combat. He thought that people would be more understanding of his condition and wouldn't pitty him or view him as weak.

I couldn't really blame the guy for changing his story.

Bypass

Mar 25, 2015
Chatsworth, Georgia
Zip code
As you guys know I'm not a vet but I was in Iraq as a Security Contractor. My opinion is that it depends how far they go. I don't really judge people anymore because nothing is ever black and white anymore. It's usually some deeper issue with that person in which pretending to have some purpose in life may help them. I met a guy once through a PTSD group who has PTSD because he was mulested as a child.. to strangers he used to just say he was in the Army and his PTSD comes from combat. He thought that people would be more understanding of his condition and wouldn't pitty him or view him as weak.

I couldn't really blame the guy for changing his story.
That's horrible man. Yeah I wouldn't blame the guy either.

Captdave77

Woodsman
Mar 13, 2017
Dallas GA
Zip code
True stolen valor is fraud. The guys who attempt to use false veteran status in order to take something like the bullshitters from the "Veteran's Network" or whatever it is called standing outside Walmart in mismatched BDUs really piss me off.

H

Hoss

I may not have been there when the Japanese invaded Normandy but I can honestly say that it was only because I was earning my butter bars 2nd class flying in the ebola gray as we dropped the first nuclear balistic missile on Pearl Harbor. Dont judge me.

Reactions: Strider12 and sam

Sublimebeer

MAKE GUN FORUMS GREAT AGAIN
Mar 25, 2015
East Cobb Ga
Zip code
I've been saying it for years. There needs to be another major world war so that this new generation has something to do. Less time stomping on flags and robbing liquor stoes

Strider12

Sniper
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 25, 2015
Atlanta
Zip code
I may not have been there when the Japanese invaded Normandy but I can honestly say that it was only because I was earning my butter bars 2nd class flying in the ebola gray as we dropped the first nuclear balistic missile on Pearl Harbor. Dont judge me.
So you're a history professor?

Reactions: sam and Hoss