SP101 on lay-away

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

BubbaDX

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I was in a local gun shop today and they had a used SP101 in the case. It was not like other SP101's I had seen. It had a longer barrel and fiber optic front sight. I asked to see it and it looked brand new. No scratches, no wear marks and the riflings are nice and crisp. They told me they have sold that gun twice and both times the buyer returned it stating it kicks too hard. I assured him that if I bought it, I would not be returning it. I asked if they had the box and they said yes, so I put it on lay-a-way. Here is the same gun from Ruger's website:

http://www.ruger.com/products/sp101/specSheets/5771.html

One thing I will change is the grips. I have been looking at what's available and found these Rosewood grips made by Hogue. Anyone have these grips or experience with them?

http://www.hoguestore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=27_61_406&products_id=3598

M

mukwah

Good deal Bubba, way to go! Check E-bay for some really nice exotic grips from Thailand like these:
9ygu8y4y.jpg

Yogi 117

Woodsman
Jun 8, 2012
Salem OR
You're going to luv it Bubba. We have the 3" SP-101, my wife's favorite to shoot. We put the rubber Hogue grips on her, nice addition whether rubber or wood. Have fun & enjoy! Yogi :eek:

BubbaDX

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I do like those grips Mukwah. I might try a set of rubber grips, but I am leaning toward wood. There is just something about a nice set of wood grips on a revolver. I doubt I will have this in layaway for the full 90 days. I am very anxious to shoot it.

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
Nice catch. My Range Rat Friend says my Ruger SP101 has too much of a kick for him. We shall see how he fares with the GP-100 on the next range trip.

BubbaDX

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Well I had the day off work and it was payday, that's a bad combination :D :D I went to the local gun shop and picked up my SP101 and a box of Blazer Brass JHP ammo. Then I headed for the range and put 2 boxes of ammo through it. Here it is, let me know what you think.

BubbaDX

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Here is my target. I tried various ranges from 7 yards out to about 20 yards. I shot it double action and single action.

he7e4e7y.jpg

Sorry for the crappy cellphone pic. Taking pictures was an afterthought.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

M

mukwah

Re: Re: SP101 on lay-away

rayzer007 said:
BubbaDX said:
Here it is, let me know what you think.

I think you've got the finest .357 on the market Bubba! 8)

Ray
+1 Ray! SP101 is a prize acquisition! Enjoy and relish your prize Bubba!;)

Sent from my Droid Razr using my trigger finger.

BubbaDX

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Thanks, I really like this revolver. I would still like to pick up one with the 2.25" barrel for conceal carry. I used to see them all the time before all this political crap started. Now I rarely ever see an SP101 in the local gun shop.

M

mukwah

I searched for over a year and finally found mine on gun broker.com! Here's my prize! A GP100!
ygade4us.jpg

Sent from my Droid Razr using my trigger finger.