Should your carbine be on "safe" during a mag change?

GA Firing Line

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
Pat McNamara thinks so, but I disagree.

I don’t put it on “safe” during a reload, but I do put it on “safe” when letting it hang, or transitioning to my Secondary.

I don’t understand his thought process that if someone doesn’t put it on “safe” during reload, then they won’t put it on “safe” when it’s hanging. Those are 2 different tasks and handled differently. That’s how I’ve done it for 30 years and I have never slung a weapon without placing it on “safe”.

I’ve been teaching my students this for 20 years, again with no issues. I explain both sides of the argument, state that I do not use the “safety” during reloads, but allow my students to do so if that makes them comfortable.

I don't get the argument he puts out about operating behind your partner, either. My partner should not be pointing his carbine at me at any time; loaded or unloaded, on "safe" or on "fire". If he is not pointing the weapon at me, then I don't care what state he has it in.

I’m not saying he is wrong, it is purely a difference in techniques. I will say that I also don't agree with the "my way or the highway" mentality, but I see that a lot at different places.

A friend of mine has taught classes with Pat McNamara and does not agree with this stance of his. He asked McNamara why he isn't worried about reloads without a safety on his Glock or 1911, and the answer was, "Do it because it’s there". That's as big a non-answer as my Dad telling me to, "Do it because I said so!"

What's y'all's thoughts?

Here is the article with McNamara's side of the argument: https://www.ballisticmag.com/2018/12/25/carbine-safety-mag-change/?fbclid=IwAR1gT_pv1ZvhZuyPSTTxzQQhDusamvgq5RWG5ysjIJLKfmZwvKANFXYKc2k

Reactions: dial1911

Herk

Hunter
Mar 16, 2017
Colorado
Zip code
The process that I was taught was that the AR's safety comes off when cheek-weld is established and goes back on when cheek weld is broken (there's probably exceptions to this rule that I can't think of right now). If a reload is required and there's enough distance that a transition to pistol isn't appropriate then slipping back into cover is probably what you should do before doing the reload. If you're moving back behind cover then you probably have the spare fraction of a second to flip the safety on as you do so.

If you perceive the need to do the fastest possible AR reload then the cheek weld should probably not be broken and, thus, the safety may remain on "FIRE" while doing so, in accordance with the "rule" listed above.

All that being said, I am not "operator" so my opinion is just regurgitation of what I've learned from others, backed up by practicing it on a nice, safe shooting range and not having anything go obviously wrong for me.

I'd also agree that the linked article is not the most compelling thing I've heard PatMac say. I'm reasonably sure I'll be training with him for the first time in the summer of 2019 but that'll probably be a pistol class.

Reactions: cmshoot
H

Hoss

In a military combat zone, nobody uses that damn safety.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
The 1911 is a poor choice for an example since it has a grip safety and thumb safety. All semiautos if fired dry will lock with the slide back. The majority of reloads will probably be done with a grip shift (remember the video of the cop who shot through the windshield and then tried to load the mag in backward) so, technically you are off the trigger.

Even if the slide goes forward into battery and line of target sight or cheekweld is not broken, placing your trigger finger on the trigger guard is ingrained in just about everyone these days. 2nd to that is placing a firearm on safe when not in action. I have educated my kids to always treat a firearm as loaded, not take the safety off until ready to fire and when firearm is not in action, to place the safety on.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
THIS is why I enjoy taking courses with Rob.

He isn't a super overkill safety sally for shit that literally makes no sense and isn't even any safer.