Shield 40 or XDs

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

gunjunkie

Hunter
Jun 8, 2012
Texas Panhandle
Have any of ya'll shot the M&P Shield .40 and the XDs? I'd especially like to know which one has the better feeling trigger. I can't make up my mind on these two and neither one is available enough to fondle both at the same time. I know the XDs holds one less in the flat base mag, but one extra in the extended mag, that I would carry as an extra or for the range.

3Coyotes

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Effington, Ohio
your luck may be better than mine. I played extensively with the Shield 9, but haven't seen a hint of an XDS or Shield 40. I liked the trigger and sights on the Shield and I see no reason that they would be less on the 40 than the 9.

I've been toying with getting one or the other as well. However, in the last few days, I've had a revelation that I perform really well with 9's, but have not been able to maintain that that level with a 40 or greater, let alone in a sub-compact configuration. If I went with either, I'd have to consider it a range gun until I felt equally proficient with it.

framedcraig1

no fear...Ruger is here.
Jun 8, 2012
Mapleton,ut
Have you tried out the SR40C. 3Coyotes? I had some real trouble controlling my sons Glock 23, but do very well with the Ruger. It has a fair amount of snap...true...but way more managable than the 23 for me.

3Coyotes

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Effington, Ohio
I haven't tried the SR40c... others, yes. Any gun I may handle will probably pass the Larry Potterfield Concealled Carry test and allow anyone to put quick consecutive shots on target. That doesn't mean I can perform that well with the + recoil under adverse conditions. If I were only accurate and fast with .22's... that's my carry. As it stands, I'm where I should be with 9's.

I guess it's some form of, "Know thyself."

framedcraig1

no fear...Ruger is here.
Jun 8, 2012
Mapleton,ut
Some of those new cci rounds for.22 are pretty danged impressive! Putting ten rounds of those into the BG would definetely slow them down....

jackjr

Woodsman
Jun 10, 2012
My wife and I both have Shields in 9mm. and love them. I have a XDM in 9mm. and really like the trigger and I've heard good things about the XDS. I saw a video a while back with a young lady shooting the XDS at the Shot Show and she had no problems with it and said she liked it too. I lean towards the 9mm. because it is easier for us to put the round where we want it. My wife had a Ruger LCR in .38spl. and we were terrible with it. I've also read that the trigger on the Shield is so well received that there are plans to use it on the other pistols in the M&P line. Probably doesn't really answer your question but just passing on what I've heard and what we like.

Jim_Import

Scout
Jun 9, 2012
SW Missouri
Just traded in a Ruger P345 for an XDS45. I liked the Ruger, but even being smaller, the XDS felt like less recoil, the trigger pull was such that I didn't hit low left like I did with the P345. Guess I would have to say I love the XDS.

A

AquaHull

The XD compact 45 has caught my eye, a soft shooting dream. I love having a backyard range where city folks bring their new toys for me to shoot.It gives me a chance to shoot some quality weapons.

gunjunkie

Hunter
Jun 8, 2012
Texas Panhandle
I went ahead and bought a XDs from Gunbroker, since all the local gun shops said it would be at least three months, and not paying tax covered the shipping and FFL. Should be here Monday.

D

Denny4kids

My game weapon is an Xdm and after 3000 rounds it still looks like new. I like whatever coating they use on the barrel and slide. The only wear is on the barrel in the normal spots but not all the way through the coating. None of the trigger parts show any wear. I did have to clean the copper from the barrel and that was easy. I think this weapon will last a long time. Xd's rock! Den

gunjunkie

Hunter
Jun 8, 2012
Texas Panhandle
I finally got to fire my new XDs Friday. I love the trigger. No hiccups at all, but I only had one 50 round box to shoot. Recoil was fairly light, maybe because I was using Remington 230gr MC. The last three mags, I was at 30 yards firing into some light gage paint thinner cans and four rounds failed to exit out of the back.