GA Firing Line

Rust removal

M

mukwah

I just spent the last 30 minutes reading on a forum I am not a member of on rust removal on a firearm. Pretty interesting stuff. I've never had a problem with rust so this is kind of s learning experience for me. What are some of y'all's methods? What's worked,what hasn't?

Use a little CLR full strength and 000 steel wool gently. I have used that to remove a lot of rust on an old rifle and it did not remove the bluing underneath. Go slow and easy.

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
RICHGCOOP said:
0000 steel wool with a gun oil or cleaner works good for me.

RICHGCOOP

Same here unless it really bad. Then it's WD 40. Better have some CLP or Ballistol handy though, I've cleaned some really old, thick rust off and watched the bare metal rust almost immediately.

M

mukwah

Would the Scotch Brite pads be less apt to scratch than steel wool?

M

mukwah

Working on the Marlin now and making good progress. Got the stock and fore end off have removed the rust with 000 steel wool and CLP. I'm thinking that since the stock is gonna be refinished why not reblue? I've read the forum somewhere about Oxpha Blue. Can someone tell me a little more about this?

M

mukwah

Just ordered Oxpha Blue from Brownells today, should be here in a couple of days. Question: should I. A) Blue just areas where rust was cleaned off
B) Blue entire barrel over old blue
C) Strip off all bluing, polish, clean and reblue entire barrel
Advice please!

R

rayzer007

RugerRon60 said:
Oh and be careful in your area Rich there is a bank robber running loose

I should think rather the bank robber be the one more careful; varmints don't last long around Rich's territory!

Ray