Ruger Standard or Mark I

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
RugerMark12NoSN.jpg

I got a phone call from a friend this afternoon telling me that a local Lawmen’s had taken in some firearms on consignment. One was a Ruger Mark 1. I went over after doing some research. It was a Ruger Mark 1. She had a blue carbon steel finish, a 4 3/4s in barrel. The sights were partridge style, fixed and open, the rear sight mounted in a dove tail. You have to lock the bolt back by using the safety.

Ruger produced these from 1949 to 1982. Guys coming back from WWII wanting to do some range time with a 22LR caliber semi-automatic appreciated the cost of the new Ruger compared to the cost of a Colt, Smith &Wesson or Hi Standard. Back in the late 50’s and 60’s these sold for $25.00.

RugerMark14.jpg

They were asking $400.00 and these guys aren’t allowed to negotiate. She’s in great shape and I reluctantly shelled out the bucks. I’d done my research before going over and although she had been made in 1973, she was in great shape. A couple of my references list it as starting at $850. NIB, $743. Ex and $572. Gd. These are lowball figures.

I brought her home and popped her apart. Inside I found manufacturers grease that had hardened like wax, in over 40 years of sitting in a drawer somewhere. The barrel is a little dim but she should shine right up. I’ve bought several old guns over the years that folks bought home and for whatever reason never fired.

RugerMark19NSN.jpg

Adding the Mark 1 or Standard to the collection gives me a Mark I, Mark II and a Mark III 22-45. I got to drag the I and II to the gun range and compare the two. They had a GP100 in 357 Magnum and a Single Six in the same caliber but since I’d just bought a GP100 last week I passed.

M

mukwah

Great find Slowhand! Same as mine but mine was a 1974. Great little shooters! Started 3 daughters, 2 granddaughters, and a grandson shooting with this one. Ahhh..... lot's of memories!;D

Sent from my Droid Razr using my trigger finger.

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
RugrMK1wNambu.jpg

I’ve always wanted to get another Mark 1. I’ve been interested in how it compares to the Japanese Nambu Type 34.

RugerMK1wNambu.jpg

I can see some commonalties between the two. The Nambu, German Luger P08 and Colt Woodsman inspired Bill Ruger in his initial designs but he added some original ideas that made it unique.

They're hard to find in these parts, just like the Mark II was. But now that I've gotten this one a couple of others will show up.