Ruger Old Model Single Six 22LR

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

BubbaDX

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I had the day off work yesterday to run a couple errands so I took the time to visit 4 of the 5 local gun shops that I frequent. The first two were pretty uneventful although I did get to hold the new Glock 42. At my 3rd stop I ran across this little beauty. It's used, and shows significant holster wear, but I don't think its been fired that much. I could not get a good look down the bore, I will once I take it apart today. But what I do see is a shiney surface bouncing the light back at me. I hope its as good as I think. I believe this to be from the 60's. The holster is probably every bit as old as the revolver. Both have seen a lot of time on someone's hip, I assume either on a farm or while hunting. For $190 I think it was a decent buy. What do you think?

BubbaDX

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I did a little cleaning on this yesterday. Other than the holster wear its in great shape. The bore is like a mirror with very sharp lands and grooves. Now to take it out and shoot it, I bet its pretty accurate up to abut 25 yards.

BubbaDX

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I know very little about caring for leather. Is there anything I can do to the holster to preserve it and bring it back to life?

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
I'm not sure if its right thing. Years ago we'd use neatsfoot oil on our Saddles holsters and belts.

RICHGCOOP

DROID3 - Tap talk

lws380

Frontiersman
Mar 22, 2010
I would recommend using Resaissance Wax on the holster. It is used by many museums and The Smithsonian Institute. Here is a link to the product and some of its uses. http://www.restorationproduct.com/index.html They also sell it at Midway USA.

I will point out that the holster has lasted a long time. If it is as old as the gun it has lasted 40-50+ years. Not to shabby for a holster. Mine might last that long too with normal use, but if they fall apart after that time, don't call me as I will probably have been dead long before then. I'm pretty sure I will look much worse than the holster.

Generally speaking do not put anything on a holster that will soften the leather. Especially for a molded holster. Neatsfoot oil will soften leather. Read the label for most things you put on leather and you will see that it says that it will soften leather. So for some things that is OK, but for a molded holster it is not. If you soften the holster with products that soften the leather, the holster will likely lose it retention and molding over time. The holster shown does not have much if any molding. But if it softened too much, it could collapse when the gun is withdrawn.

Also the strap on the holster looks especially worn where it goes over the hammer, and if used allot it could break. I assume the wearing has weakened the leather and I'm not sure any product will add more strength.

Renaissance wax will help it but there is lots of wear on the holster. It will likely still have some darker and lighter areas even after it is applied. It is supposed to be used sparingly too! It has many uses and is good to have around.