Ruger Mark II

Faktory 47

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
RugerMarkIIxxdR.jpg

A friend called me on Wednesday and wanted to make the rounds, so off we went.

At a local Lawmen’s, there she was. Sitting on the bottom shelf at the far right was a familiar silhouette. I’d recognize those Bolt Ears, those grips and that long tapered barrel anywhere.

It was a Ruger Mark II Standard, with a 6 inch barrel, She in great shape and had been well kept. About 90% worth of kept. Standard sights and all metal, except for the grips. . The trigger was smooth, sort of like it had been tuned. The magazine was an M10 Standard. Not a scratch on her. Apparently she’d been shot and put away dirty but, that’s an easy fix.

I’d been looking for one of these for quite awhile. I had one back in 1989, but Ex-Wife #2 had sold it while I was out of the country. I’d inherited it from my Dad and as a teenager had put loads of ammunition through it. Since this one is packing SN 224—82XXX mine must have been a Standard or Mark I.

RugerMarkIIL.jpg

Ruger produced this one in 2002. Strange enough the year that Bill Ruger died. Ruger started production of the Mark II in 1982 and stopped selling them in 2005.

So, I finally got my Mark II. I’m planning a range trip this week. Unfortunately she only came with one magazine and there’s none available locally. I’ll just have to be patient. At $240.00 it was a good price.

MarkIIDisassembled2.jpg

I disassembled and cleaned the weapon Thursday. Mark IIs are a bit easier that the Mark III 22/45s, but still loads of fun. Read the Owner’s Instructions for disassembly. That’s the easy part.

Reassembly is another manner. I’ve done the Mark I, II and III. Read the instructions and look around on YouTube. It’s one of those things best learned by doing. A few suggested tools.

To remove the grip covers, I use a Brownells Magna Tip, with a 270-3 bit. They’re hollow and ground just right; it makes a perfect fit into the screw slot to avoid stripping it. I also use a 16 oz Strike Pro Fiberglass hammer, a plastic punch, a large paper clip and a couple of smaller gunsmith hammers.

For reassembly, the barrel receiver goes on top of the frame so that the square lug engages the square front recess under the underside of the receiver. The barrel is pushed rearward until it stops, with the rear end of the receiver slightly over-hanging at the rear end of the grip frame.

That’s where the problems can start. If the mainspring housing bolt stop assembly pin doesn’t protrude far enough above the top of the receiver, the pin will not allow the latch to close. After repeated effort if the pin doesn’t protrude enough to allow the bolt stop assembly to latch in place, don’t try to force it.

Point the pistol barrel down and look behind the rear sight. Check the position of the Slide Bolt and see how it is seated into the receiver. The ears on the bolt have circular grooves. With the bolt inserted in the barrel, if the end of the receiver is not centered on these grooves, that means the barrel needs to be further back on the frame.

Hammer time. Take the bolt out and reseat the barrel. With the bolt back in, the bolt stop assembly should slide right in and close the latch.

So I thought I share the new find. Gotta run I've got a line on an Argentine Mauser Model 1891, 7.65 Argentine caliber.

M

mukwah

Congrats Slow hand! She's a beauty for sure! Had my Standard since '74, a real bugger bear to reassemble!

Sent from my Droid Razr using my trigger finger.

Sarge

Woodsman
Jun 15, 2012
Florida
Sweet! IMO, those Mark pistols are the most accurate pistols Ruger has ever built...even the ones with fixed sights. Congrats! Oh, and dang those ex-wives! :)

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
I was out making the round this afternoon with a fellow Range Rat and we went to a pawn shop in downtown Columbia. I usually avoid these places like the plague. The buy a used gun for peanuts then try to charge MRSP. This one was run by an Old Retired USAF Pilot and his son. His wife's a Big Wig Down Town and it's sort of a hobby thing.

Another one of those with loads of new power tools. It seems that as part of the State Rehab Program, for criminalist, under privileged citizens, when the enroll in vocational rehabilitation classes. They get issued the tools to learn their new trade. Shortly after they stroll down to a local pawn shop and pick up some cash. Totally legal. When the students drop out the tools get hocked and never redeemed. The system doesn't file claims or charges, so life goes on. Sort of like my tax dollars.

Anyway this guy has two Mark IIs sitting on the shelf. I negotiate a deal, for a reasonable price. But he doesn't roll from his $250. price tag. I'm really not push since a few days ago, I just got one. Strange how after a few years of looking for one, I suddenly run into 3 that aren't way over priced. I was about to pay $375. - 450. for a used Mark II.

I was going to get in a range trip today but instead I made the rounds and bought a sporterized Argentine Mauser Model 1891, in 7.65 Argentine. This one was made in 1894, but because it tolerates nitro or smokeless powder, it will fire a modern manufactured round. Later on today I'll post some pictures, she's a sweet old gal.