Reloading rifle calibers

American Revival Apparel Company

Rob Hodge

Scout
Aug 7, 2015
St. Louis
Is there much difference in reloading rifle calibers over pistol calibers. I know you have to do the basics of inspected the brass, clean an so on. I guess the big difference that I can think of is that the case has to be trimmed. Is there any thing that I'm missing?

Waterguy

Woodsman
Trusted Trader
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
North Georgia
Zip code
Well you pointed out some of the BJ ig differences in most cases. The trimming thing can be needed in pistol rounds. Trimming helps with overall consistency and consistency is accuracy. Accuracy is very important when the shot is out at around 200 yards. With a pistol 50 yards is a long shot for most people. The key is consistency.

Reactions: Richard P. Musgrove

Woodstock

Tracker
Jun 29, 2015
Zip code
Other than different primers, all the important things remain.

Case prep and overall length, proper lube and die cleaning, matching powder and charge with the projectile, seating depth, crimping based on use, keeping good notes etc all remain. I full length size all my cases every time, some don't.

Bottle necks in rifle such as 223 are a easier with what I load vs pistol, as in 357 sig

Reactions: Richard P. Musgrove

Jcountry

Frontiersman
Mar 30, 2015
Georgia
You also need to keep up with how many times rifle brass has been fired.

Most people trash it at 4 or 5 (depending on the round.). If you load it too many times, the stretching will lead to case head separation. Bad news.

The deal is that high power rifle brass is squished against the chamber walls much harder. This is what stretches the case and leads to the need for trimming. After several firings, the brass from the case head will have flowed forward and will have gotten thin.

Liberty

nitrocellulose dispenser
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2015
Ga
Zip code
Setting the sizing die to head space correctly is also very important. Too little will impede the action, too much kaboom.