Marksman
Jul 13, 2015
Zip code
The steps...
c4d5ceec5b8d51e623343188f4a85350.jpg
ee20d2ec263adae5eedd90682daf731c.jpg
fcce0d748e1b5a6bd3fbb3b13502fdd4.jpg
4fdd62a7c1896728848c8c95f2a5f536.jpg

If only the Krylon would put the Poverty Pony’s dimensions back into spec...

Reactions: Leadhoof

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
I like the tiger stripe looking camo. Looks good. Ought to smell good burning off the tube as well.

I just love the smell of Krylon burning in the morning....

Reactions: Hoss

Liberty

nitrocellulose dispenser
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2015
Ga
Zip code
I wonder if they make grill paint in o.d. ?

H

Hoss

I like the tiger stripe looking camo. Looks good. Ought to smell good burning off the tube as well.

I just love the smell of Krylon burning in the morning....
I'm going to let it sit for a week or two to make sure it cures then I'm gonna do 5-6 mag dumps and let it burn

Liberty

nitrocellulose dispenser
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2015
Ga
Zip code
They should. What if you're deep deep deep in the field waiting to ambush the Ho Chi Minh Trail but really really really want to smoke a boston butt?

It comes in green. Now you can bbq just before smoking the hostiles. Capture+_2019-01-02-13-02-49.png

Reactions: Grunk and Hoss

Liberty

nitrocellulose dispenser
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2015
Ga
Zip code
Please let us know about what round count the Krylon cooks off at. I would like to do my ar-10. Grill paint for the barrel, and maybe rattlecan for the rest.

H

Hoss

Please let us know about what round count the Krylon cooks off at. I would like to do my ar-10. Grill paint for the barrel, and maybe rattlecan for the rest.
It'll be interesting to see for sure. If and when it does cook off, I'll probably strip the barrel and use OD high temp paint.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Liberty

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code

I used to krylon my ARs. The paint scratches off long before it cooks off. Actually the barrel is about the only part you CAN’T get the paint off without bead blasting. It more or less cooks on.

H

Hoss

I used to krylon my ARs. The paint scratches off long before it cooks off. Actually the barrel is about the only part you CAN’T get the paint off without bead blasting. It more or less cooks on.
It was pretty humid this weekend. I'm going to let it sit in the safe and cure for a week or so before I do anything with it. After that, I'm not even going to try to be gentle or careful with it. I've got 10 30rd mags loaded and ready to play with. I need to sight in the BSO-1 then cook off a few hundred rounds from 25-100 yards (that's the extent of my backyard range at the moment). After that, this FrankenBuild will be my go-to, go everywhere sidekick. All scratches, dings, scrapes and wear will be well earned and worn like a badge of honor.

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
It was pretty humid this weekend. I'm going to let it sit in the safe and cure for a week or so before I do anything with it. After that, I'm not even going to try to be gentle or careful with it. I've got 10 30rd mags loaded and ready to play with. I need to sight in the BSO-1 then cook off a few hundred rounds from 25-100 yards (that's the extent of my backyard range at the moment). After that, this FrankenBuild will be my go-to, go everywhere sidekick. All scratches, dings, scrapes and wear will be well earned and worn like a badge of honor.

Get er done!

Or something like that.

Axeman

If you can’t laugh at yourself you’re FUKT!!!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 5, 2016
Goat Rodeo Clown
Zip code
IMG_4954.JPG
My 80% .308, with 20" heavy barrel and lightweight 16" barrel, before rattlecan camo
IMG_4992.JPG
And after... IMG_4989.JPG IMG_4993.JPG IMG_4988.JPG
In this last pic you can see where the paint bubbled and peeled off the scope. Weird, because it did that when I applied a coat of satin clear after all the other coats had dried, and it only got this one side of the scope. So I had to do it again, but I really didn't let it bother me. It's SUPPOSED to wear off anyway.

H

Hoss

Looks good. Did you use a laundry bag for the "scales"? That's how my buddy said they did theirs in Afghanistan.

Axeman

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 5, 2016
Goat Rodeo Clown
Zip code
Looks good. Did you use a laundry bag for the "scales"? That's how my buddy said they did theirs in Afghanistan.
Exactly what I did. Laundry bags are like $1 at Wal Mart, so nobody cried over it.
And I CAREFULLY taped over the knobs on the scope, and removed the iron sights first. Didn't bother taking off the HG on either one, and even sprayed the 16" BCG through the port because I haven't bothered to put a door on it. I should have removed the safety lever, but oh well. Live and learn.

Look closely at the HG on the 20" and you can see I took a cheaper keymod HG and added KAC surplus rail cover panels, just screwed them directly on without rails underneath. Makes a really solid and comfortable HG for cheap that looks awesome.

Reactions: Red Dawn

Axeman

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 5, 2016
Goat Rodeo Clown
Zip code
Is that safety lever supposed to be like that? Looks odd...

Nice paint job, BTW!
Thanks! I think the essence of a rattle can camo job is in the imperfections. If we want perfect, we have @FatAlbert do it.

I hate that most ambi safeties always ride on the knuckle of my finger, so whenever possible, I flip them around the other way on the right side.
Or I file the fucker down until it doesn't bother me anymore. Had to do that on a 1911 I bought a while back.
Just one of my little quirks. I can still operate the safety left-handed if needed.

Herk

Hunter
Mar 16, 2017
Colorado
Zip code
Thanks! I think the essence of a rattle can camo job is in the imperfections. If we want perfect, we have @FatAlbert do it.

I hate that most ambi safeties always ride on the knuckle of my finger, so whenever possible, I flip them around the other way on the right side.
Or I file the fucker down until it doesn't bother me anymore. Had to do that on a 1911 I bought a while back.
Just one of my little quirks. I can still operate the safety left-handed if needed.
Interesting, I would have never thought to do that. I tried exactly one ambi safety because I didn't like my knuckle interfering with it going into Fire but I never thought to flip it like that.

Next question: what's the story with the piece of cord on the takedown pins?