Range trip: 3 .22LRs - Colt, Jennings & Ruger

GA Firing Line

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
10-07-133Weapons2.jpg

I decided that I was going to take a trip to Palmetto State Armory and hit their gun range. So at about 11:30 I headed that way. I'd let my range membership expire last month. They wanted $250.00 a year for a member ship renewal. So I did the math and told them I pay by the hour or half hour. At $16.00 an hour, I’m saving some money. When I was hitting the range two days a week for 4 hours a trip with was worth the money.

I took three weapons with me all 22 LRs. At the front is a Jennings Model I-22, to the left is a Ruger Standard and on the right is a Colt Walther U.S. Government Model 1911.

I had a couple of hundred rounds left in a box of Remington 525 Golden Bullet Value Pack left over from a previous outing. I ran those out and brought a second box, I’d brought along back home.

20-07-13RangeTripCombo.jpg

I started with the Jennings J-22 at 5 yards. A real pocket pistol, mouse gun or Saturday Night Special it's about 4 3/4 inches long. I can complete palm the pistol, cover the barrel with two finger and it’s out of view. I loaded 5 rounds in the magazine and racked the slide.

When I pulled the trigger nothing went bang. I re-racked the slide and it worked. I put 10 rounds through it at 5 yards, aiming center mass. One streamer but the rest are on target.

I then tried some head shots, again at 5 yards. Except for that first problem, she ran well. No miss-feeds, FTE s or any of that stuff. Most folks discount 22Lrs as self defense ammunition. I prefer a heavier caliber myself, but in a pinch the J-22 would beat sticks and stones or harsh language.

20-07-13RangeTrip5.jpg

Here is the target from 25 Yards with the Colt Walther U.S. Government 1911 22LR. Once I got things settled down it was working great. I might get another range trip in this week with just this one. It’s an interesting shooter. Those 2.23 lbs in weight and 8.6 inches in overall length along with the way it handles just smooth things out.

I ran 20 rounds through the Ruger and a couple more magazines through the Colt. Good stuff.

lws380

Frontiersman
Mar 22, 2010
Always fun to look at holes punched in paper. Thanks for posting and looks like you have a good time.

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
20-07-13RangeTrip7.jpg

Awesome are you?? I slapped on a new target, ran it out 15 yards and tapped a few rounds into the top from the Ruger Standard. I slapped a red dot on it. Then I dumped 2 magazines from the Colt into it. Those little blemishes on the red dot are holes. I fool around on the range quite a bit. But when I settle down and get serious with it, I can punch some good groups. This wasn't serious stuff.