Ok, serious question

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

AKguy

Hunter
Apr 15, 2015
NNE Metro Atlanta
Anyone had to do an intervention with a family member or friend?

I have a childhood friend of mine that off on another fucking planet. At minimum, he needs a psych eval, possibly rehab.

This friend's dad committed suicide 2 years ago, and ever since then, he's been going down hill. His friends and family are very concerned about his wellbeing at this point. He's been using at least one hard drug recently, and his brother suspects more than one hard drug. But he's gone nuts. He wants to quit his job, move to the middle of no where, and he's paranoid as all get out. He asked his sister for a DNA sample because he was convinced his dad wasn't his real dad. Well yesterday, he told his sister that he thinks everyone had been stealing from him, the NSA is spying on him (which, who are they not spying on), and a family that he sees at a local restaurant is his real family and they know it, so they quit going there because they know he knows that he's their biological child. He's been saying all sorts of creepy shit like "I am my own darkest secret" and he sent me a text saying "tele talk about me bf to bf." He told his brother some shit like that, in person, saying "I know you tele talk tele contact about me to people that have no business being tele talking about me." We don't know what the fuck that means. At minimum, he might be a schizo.

But the guy is 27 years old and has lost all of marbles. He's using some kind of hard dope, and is probably gonna need meds for the rest of his life, and live in a half way house.

I guess the question is - how do tip toe around egg shells but him the help he needs? Because he's a loose cannon right now.

AKguy

Hunter
Apr 15, 2015
NNE Metro Atlanta
Having seen this before, the simple answer is that you don't tip-toe around it if is in advanced stages, interventions are usually only successful in early stages (if schizophrenia).

Just some info:http://www.interventionsupport.com/schizophrenia/

Thanks for the link, but it scares the hell outta me. He sent one of my friends the peace sign the other day (via text) and on the same day, sent a different friend a text saying "I feel like hanging out in back yard, but not in my hammock if you get what I mean." Come to think of it, the early stages were ignored by his family members and chalked up to stress and pot usage.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code

I have a childhood friend of mine that off on another fucking planet. At minimum, he needs a psych eval, possibly rehab.

This friend's dad committed suicide 2 years ago, and ever since then, he's been going down hill. His friends and family are very concerned about his wellbeing at this point. He's been using at least one hard drug recently, and his brother suspects more than one hard drug. But he's gone nuts. He wants to quit his job, move to the middle of no where, and he's paranoid as all get out. He asked his sister for a DNA sample because he was convinced his dad wasn't his real dad. Well yesterday, he told his sister that he thinks everyone had been stealing from him, the NSA is spying on him (which, who are they not spying on), and a family that he sees at a local restaurant is his real family and they know it, so they quit going there because they know he knows that he's their biological child. He's been saying all sorts of creepy shit like "I am my own darkest secret" and he sent me a text saying "tele talk about me bf to bf." He told his brother some shit like that, in person, saying "I know you tele talk tele contact about me to people that have no business being tele talking about me." We don't know what the fuck that means. At minimum, he might be a schizo.

But the guy is 27 years old and has lost all of marbles. He's using some kind of hard dope, and is probably gonna need meds for the rest of his life, and live in a half way house.

I guess the question is - how do tip toe around egg shells but him the help he needs? Because he's a loose cannon right now.
I'm sorry to hear about

I'm sorry to hear about his situation. Get to a professional to inquire about this. Collect and maintain any communications you have from him,and log in writing any suspect verbal communications you have with him. He needs help. You're not betraying your friendship or relationship in any way. Find a mental health professional, or get a referral to one via your family doctor, and get the young man some help.

Best of luck.

Reactions: sam

AirOpsMgr

Director of Lavatory Services
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Thanks for the link, but it scares the hell outta me. He sent one of my friends the peace sign the other day (via text) and on the same day, sent a different friend a text saying "I feel like hanging out in back yard, but not in my hammock if you get what I mean." Come to think of it, the early stages were ignored by his family members and chalked up to stress and pot usage.
Very sorry to hear it, tough situation. I feel for ya.

Watched my father go through many stages of dementia toward the end of his battle with Parkinson's as well as a very close friend battle Schizophrenia that was kept hidden for several years.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
Contact these folks, They have mobile crisis people that can c=go to his home and see him. We work closely with them at work and they are good folks.

If they think he is a true harm to himself or others that can have him commited against his will.

https://bhlweb.com/tabform/Default.aspx

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
Bad situation all around. Whatever you do please do something before it's too late. If he's really getting that lost and dark the potential for him to hurt someone is definitely there...

fyroc

Developer
Mar 25, 2015
Philadelphia
Zip code
I've come across people like this in my line of work. I'd be on a missing persons case and it's just them taking off because some imaginary story they put in their heads. I've even had these types "kidnap" as well... convincing their young girlfriends that they should run away together. My girlfriend's brother is also a huge drug user that will steal anything that isn't bolted to the ground. He's been to rehab constantly with no change. I haven't met him yet and the family isn't doing anything for him. I'm actually afraid of meeting him because I will tell him straight up, if he harms my girl he is going to wish he was dead. I think his case is mild but the drugs make it worse.

As for your friend... please get him help. Put him in a facility that will help him. I dont want the next thread being "how can I find this missing person".

karlvv

The LEGEND
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 3, 2015
Harlem, GA
Zip code
If I was you, I would do something immediately. By the time people get to the point your friend is at, they are only one bad experience away from losing it. By losing it, I mean either suicide or murder. You will be kicking yourself in the ass if something happens and you did nothing. Hindsight is a MFer. I hope he gets the help he needs.

Reactions: Mac11FA

AKguy

Hunter
Apr 15, 2015
NNE Metro Atlanta
Well... this shit got blown wide open.

A friend of mine has been in contact with his family members, including his sister. And my understanding is that family members have to sign off on or approve a psych eval.

Well, the guy's sister called GCPD and said she thought he was suicidal so they went to his house, talked to him, he said that everyone is conspiring against him, they essentially shook his hand and left. And now he won't answer any phone calls, texts, etc. And I talked to her fiancé and she's held up in her room, which is really helping and doing a lot.

I mean, I feel helpless because I don't know that there is much that I can do at this point.

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
Basically, he was able to talk his way out of a welfare check with the PD. Unfortunately, if there is no proven fact of drug use, the family is going to have to intervene. It sucks, but the laws are such that innocent people cannot be committed. More than likely he is using Meth or Crack as those can induce paranoia and if there are underlying mental issues aggravate them as well. Now that the cops have been involved he is not going to trust anyone, including family members. It has probably only driven him deeper into his paranoia. I am sorry to hear about this situation and I hope that someone can get through to him.

AKguy

Hunter
Apr 15, 2015
NNE Metro Atlanta
Basically, he was able to talk his way out of a welfare check with the PD. Unfortunately, if there is no proven fact of drug use, the family is going to have to intervene. It sucks, but the laws are such that innocent people cannot be committed. More than likely he is using Meth or Crack as those can induce paranoia and if there are underlying mental issues aggravate them as well. Now that the cops have been involved he is not going to trust anyone, including family members. It has probably only driven him deeper into his paranoia. I am sorry to hear about this situation and I hope that someone can get through to him.

Yea, I mean, it's pretty much on his family at this point. He's a recluse now. And his piece of shit liberal brother is just sitting around doing nothing.

And as far as the drug of choice, I know of one he's using for a fact. We suspect meth or crack may be the second, I don't know for sure, but some sort of upper based on the way he's acting.

We warned his brother that he's getting deeper and he may get violent if they don't do something. His brother's response was "oh, well me and Christina always keep a knife nearby and know how to use one if the need arises." Great plan.

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
I would have told his brother we will make sure and carve this famous last words on his tombstone "oh, well me and Christina always keep a knife nearby and know how to use one if the need arises."

AKguy

Hunter
Apr 15, 2015
NNE Metro Atlanta
I would have told his brother we will make sure and carve this famous last words on his tombstone "oh, well me and Christina always keep a knife nearby and know how to use one if the need arises."

Yea, it's not like he could just shoot you from 10 yards away or anything like that.

Now I know for a fact that he doesn't have any guns. But the guy he lives with has an arsenal that he could get a hold of. I told the guy to be on high alert and keep his guns under lock and key.