Oiled leather question?????

Faktory 47
M

mukwah

Question: OK guys, I have acquired a oiled leather holster that I want to dye black. Does anyone have any suggestion as to how I can draw as much of the oil out as possible so I can begin dyeing???:-

Sent from my Droid Razr using my trigger finger.

redmond

Woodsman
Jun 8, 2012
Western WA
I used Fiebings leather dye on a pair of oiled leather boots and it worked, sort of. After several months the old color started to show through.

I suspect that Doug would know a lot about this...

lws380

Frontiersman
Mar 22, 2010
Can you post a picture?

Getting oil out is probably not going to happen. I think I would use some deglazer on it first. Then dye with Fiebings Professional Oil dye. Then resealed. They make a non oil dye, but I never use it. Professional Oil dye is best IMO. But it is also twice as expensive as the cheaper dye. Cost me $80 per gallon.

If you apply products (like oils) to leather, they generally soften the leather. Softening a holster is not good IMO. It can render the holster useless by getting too soft. I recommend using Renaissance Wax and you can get it at Midway USA.

By the time you buy what is needed you might have paid a significant amount of a new holster. Is there a shoe repair near you? They may be able to dye for you, but ask if they have the Professional Oil dye. If you want to send it to me to try, give me a call to discuss.

M

mukwah

The holster was given to me by a friend who no longer has the gun he bought it for. I thought I could use it for my GP100 but it's about an inch to long. It's heavily oiled and I don't know if he did it or it came that way. Anyway, my Taurus Tracker fits perfect in it. Plus it's a 4 position and I like the cross draw with the tracker. I'll post a pic when I get home from work.

R

rayzer007

That's the way to go Muk. I've used a leather shop that has been opertating in downtown Buffalo since 1857 for tweaks on my holsters . They will do a little trimming and sewing, but what you were looking to do would probably have ruined it. When I asked the shop to do something like you were trying to do, they said just buy a new holster.

Ray

M

mukwah

This holster looks almost brand new so I may just leave it like it is. It has a Ruger logo on it so that shows where my first love is. Guess there's nothing wrong with carrying a Tracker in a Ruger holster (especially for free!).
4ytyha8u.jpg
e5esemu8.jpg

R

rayzer007

That looks beautiful just like it is Muk; I wouldn't touch it, just enjoy it as is!

Ray

lws380

Frontiersman
Mar 22, 2010
Looks pretty good to me. If it works you leave as is and use it. If you want to try and make black, it might make it not work and look ugly. I would select door number 1.

M

mukwah

I think I'll stand down on this project and leave it as is! Thanks guys for the suggestions and opinions! ;)