N.A.A. .22 MiniMag ammo

American Revival Apparel Company
R

rayzer007

Question;

I have a North American Arms .22 MiniMag. Can I shoot other .22 rounds (short, long) with that gun? This is in case I can't get the magnum round. Or would they be poor choices to substitute? I infrequently throw this gun in my pocket for SD in super hot weather.

Ray

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
If the firearm uses .22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire (WMR) cartridges, standard .22 ammo will not function properly. The outside diameter of the cartridges is quite different (.226" for .22LR and .242" for .22 WMR).

.22 Short, Long, and Long Rifle all use the same diameter cartridges and cartridge base sizes. Only the cartridge case length varies between the three (and of course, differences in the sizes of various weight bullets for them).

Note that CCI .22 "Mini-Mag" ammunition is definitely not the same as .22 WMR. The CCI load is simply a hot version of .22 Long Rifle ammo.

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
No! WMR (Magnum) cartridges have an incrementally larger diameter because the brass fits around the bullet. .22 LR bullets have a ridge cut into them, so the brass is even with the top part of the bullet. While Shorts and LRs can physically be placed into the chambers of a WMR cylinder (but you'll notice a sloppy fit), it is not safe to do so, as the brass case may split when fired.

NAA_naa-bw-l.jpg

I used to have a NAA Black Widow that came with two cylinders a .22Mag and a /22LR.

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
SkipD said:
Note that CCI .22 "Mini-Mag" ammunition is definitely not the same as .22 WMR. The CCI load is simply a hot version of .22 Long Rifle ammo.

I have heard about these "Mini-Mags" and met people that claim to have them, but I have looked in all the stores around me and I do not think they still exist. :D

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
bigdogdaddy said:
I have heard about these "Mini-Mags" and met people that claim to have them, but I have looked in all the stores around me and I do not think they still exist. :D
A quick Google search came up with this page that shows that the product is current. I use the CCI Stinger .22 LR high velocity hollowpoint round for dispatching garden-eating bunnies from time to time. The Mini-Mag uses a 40gr round nose bullet while the Stinger uses a 32gr hollow point bullet. Both are high-velocity .22LR cartridges.

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
CCIMiniMags.jpg

March of this year I stood in line at our local Sportsman Warehouse and scored 1 box of 100 rounds each. I have a Sig Mosquito that loves the MiniMags 40 grains. Last October Palmetto State Armory was have a sale for $7.00 a box so I scoffed up 8 boxes. Along with some other rounds that I need to replenish my cache. I haven't see any since March.

I've noticed in the big stores now that there's 22LRs available now but none of the larger size 525 packs. It's a 50 round boxes.

I scored 3 boxes of 30 - 30 Winchester yesterday but today the shelf was bare. That deer season thing,

R

rayzer007

Thanks guys! I'll wait for the .22 WMR Magnum round to appear. I still have about 15 hoarded away.

Ray

R

rayzer007

The .22 WinMag appeared at a local gunshop. $13 for a box of 50 (Federal GameShok - 50 gr HP). Is that a high price? I bought a box anyway.

Ray