LCR rosewood grips

Faktory 47
M

mukwah

Well, while we are waiting for the raffle winners, here they are! Came in a nice blue velvet pouch to !

R

rayzer007

Those are beautiful Muk; like Rich said, well worth the wait. You'll never take them off, and they'll last forever! 8)

Ray

M

mukwah

Re: Re: LCR rosewood grips

MarineDad said:
Look great! Can you give us a size comparison between these and the Hogue Tamers?
Will do, as soon as I get off this evening.

M

mukwah

OK MarineDad, thisis the best I can do. Seems to be a tad longer. and a smidge thinner. They feel better in my opinion but I have not had a chance to shoot with them yet. Will let you know when I do!
0102131839.jpg
0102131836.jpg
0102131835.jpg

GilaMonster

Scout
Jan 5, 2013
Buckhead Mesa
mukwah said:
OK MarineDad, thisis the best I can do. Seems to be a tad longer. and a smidge thinner. They feel better in my opinion but I have not had a chance to shoot with them yet. Will let you know when I do!
0102131839.jpg

Aha! Thanks for that first picture. I was wondering how Eagle would machine the grips so they'd be one piece... Your excellent photograph shows that they are machined in two pieces, and glued together. Can just faintly see the glue line on the backstrap.

I have often looked at my LCR and wondered how to go about making a set of wooden grips for it...I have a nicely figured piece of Sycamore -- I think the light color of the wood would make a nice contrast with the black pistol.

I am even more interested in hearing how it shoots with the wood grips. My LCR is .38+p, not .357, but even with +p a range session hammers my shooting hand. The Sorbethane in the Hogue grips probably absorbs some of the recoil, but I'd be really interested in hearing your reactions to shooting it with the Rosewood.

Well, for sure, it will carry well: it is a beautiful piece! Thanks for posting.

M

mukwah

Glad the pics helped! Sounds like a good project you have in mind. Would really like to see how it turns out! I have not shot the wood grips yet and won't have a chance untill next weekend but I will report. Welcome aboard and post often!

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
GilaMonster said:
I am even more interested in hearing how it shoots with the wood grips. My LCR is .38+p, not .357, but even with +p a range session hammers my shooting hand. The Sorbethane in the Hogue grips probably absorbs some of the recoil, but I'd be really interested in hearing your reactions to shooting it with the Rosewood.

My experience is that shape is far more important than material when getting a grip to work best for a shooter. Many years ago, I carved a set of walnut grips for my S&W 19 Combat Magnum that fit my hand precisely. That made a world of difference in handling hot loads in the pistol.

Tarheel

Hunter
SkipD said:
Many years ago I bought a piece of Brazilian rosewood for no reason other than its beauty. It's highly figured and the coloring is astounding. My understanding is that Brazilian rosewood is no longer available in the USA lumber market.

Maybe one of these days I'll turn it into a few pistol grips.

...Rosewood was classified as endangered and cited as illegal to trade in 1992 via the CITES embargo. Hold onto it, Skip...you have some valuable lumber in your possession if harvested before that date. Some folks claim they have Brizillian Rosewood for sale, but it is from stumps after harvesting took place prior to 1992 and doesn't touch the real thing quality wise. A guy here in Durham makes special order merchandise from Brizilian Rosewood, but it is of the stump variety. He keeps meticulous records of his raw material purchases to avoid being cited...somewhat like chain-of-custody in the medical world. Fortunately, quality gun grips can be turned out from newer stump wood due to their small size and basically cherry-picking for the best of the lot. It's the folks who require Rosewood vaneer sheets who have a prob...musical instruments and fancy furniture.

Those grips on your LCR are absolutely beautiful, mukwah.

Hank