Kennel project

GA Firing Line
H

Hoss

My Malinos is an amazing dog. She's smart, loving, energetic, energetic, curious, energetic... she loves to get out and sprint. She patrols the property and knows everything that's going on. She also knows where the mud pits are and where the neighbor's pond is. Since she's an inside dog most if the time this can be problematic.

My girl is inside 80% of the time but when she's out she goes exploring or hunting and often times comes back filthy, sometimes bloody and almost always carrying a piece of something newly dead. She's killed deer, opossum, armadillos, coyotes, fox and even a few turkeys.

I am building a 3 stall kennel. One stall is specifically for her when we go out of town or she comes home overly nasty. I finished her stall tonight. It's 7' tall, 8' wide and 26' long. 14' is covered. I dug a 2' deep trench between each post and filled with concrete. I then covered with a few inches of dirt.

Her's is the first quasi-complete stall and I put her in it tonight to see if she'd get out. So far so good.

The other two stalls will be nurseries for goats and sows.

cb1903360c206199c0d45c4d0cb891a6.jpg

6e2c3b43960b067d028a0acd9d9fdf87.jpg

Reactions: Laufen

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
If you finished off the top with concertina wire, it'd really freak people out.

Reactions: CSA
H

Hoss

Once I finish the second stall I will put a door between them and give her a little more room. I don't see having to use it very often but when you need it, you need it. It would have been nice to have had this last week. We were getting ready to leave for the day and she decided to go jump in the pond. When she came back we had to put her in the garage for the day. She pretty much removed all of the door seal trying to scratch her way through the door.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Once I finish the second stall I will put a door between them and give her a little more room. I don't see having to use it very often but when you need it, you need it. It would have been nice to have had this last week. We were getting ready to leave for the day and she decided to go jump in the pond. When she came back we had to put her in the garage for the day. She pretty much removed all of the door seal trying to scratch her way through the door.
Last summer while visiting my parents house in rural NE, the Doberman acquainted himself with some local wildlife...a skunk. A kennel would have been great. We spent 4 hours scrubbing him with Dawn, baking soda and vinegar....and it still took 2 months for the majority of the smell to wear off.

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
I thought tomato juice was the way to remove a skunk smell. Great job on the kennel. Definately good to go with the concrete to keep her from diggin out. If she hasn't found a way out in a couple days time you should be okay.

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
You going to build a stall for Lax?

H

Hoss

I thought tomato juice was the way to remove a skunk smell. Great job on the kennel. Definately good to go with the concrete to keep her from diggin out. If she hasn't found a way out in a couple days time you should be okay.

I haven't tried that long yet. She's only spent an hour in it so far. I'm going to put her in it tomorrow and watch her to see where she tries to get out.

Clever girl

H

Hoss

Today was the day to do a full test of my "escape proof kennel".

She was out and whining at the door within the hour. I put her back in and went inside to watch. She used the slats on the gate as a ladder and went up and over. I went out and added a top rail between the two posts above the swinging gate. It took her 10 minutes of trying before she hooked that new top rail and went over. We went out and laid field fencing across the top and tied them in by wrapping the horizontal wires around the top of the vertical fencing. The entire open air portion is now covered and secured in fencing. We allowed the natural arch to remain so we could stand up straight. It's been 2 hours now and she's still testing to see if she can somehow go over.

She just tried digging under the gate but hit concrete at 3".

I know we aren't finished yet but she's stumped right now

Reactions: Buckeye76

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
Probably like watching Hogan's Heros reruns... she is always finding a new and creative way out. I am sure you will have it all figured out by the time you are going on vacay