Is anyone else meh about suppressors?

Faktory 47

BackWoods

Frontiersman
Jul 5, 2015
Temple
Zip code
How am I making this personal? You started this argument with me. My point is deregulation itself will not drop the prices of silencers AT FIRST. And it won't, even if outsourced to China. It will take some time before prices drop SIGNIFICANTLY. Those are key words in CAPS I used in my previous posts. Machines, their maintenance, labor, and raw materials will still cost the manf the same.

This isn't about me selling silencers. I make very little money off this forum. I've been trying to provide a service to those who never purchased a can before by making the process less intimidating and affordable.
aaffc8199ae7684de9227241f49a9d57.jpg

Reactions: PewPewPewCo
Jul 14, 2015
Atlanta
Zip code
How am I making this personal? You started this argument with me. My point is deregulation itself will not drop the prices of silencers AT FIRST. And it won't, even if outsourced to China. It will take some time before prices drop SIGNIFICANTLY. Those are key words in CAPS I used in my previous posts. Machines, their maintenance, labor, and raw materials will still cost the manf the same.

This isn't about me selling silencers. I make very little money off this forum. I've been trying to provide a service to those who never purchased a can before by making the process less intimidating and affordable.
Ok so I agree that prices will not drop right away. I don't think I ever said they would. None of what I said was directed at you or what you do.

DoglegArms

Silencer Dealer of 2015, 2016, 2017
Jul 12, 2015
Dallas, GA
www.doglegarms.com
Zip code
Deep breaths, no one is knocking your products. We know that you are skilled in your trade and are trying to make a living like everyone else. All we are saying is that if cans were deregulated, prices would go down. Just like any other market, from commodities to booze during the 20's.
This isn't my fulltime job and it's not my trade. I understand what you all are saying and I'm saying deregulation will not bring prices down immediately or significantly. Over time, yes prices will come down. I'm trying to give you all insight so take it or leave it, I can invest my time somewhere else.

AirOpsMgr

Director of Lavatory Services
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015

No offense man, and I love ya like a brotha from anotha motha, but I disagree with the outsourcing/machine/maintenance/labor/material cost comment. Everything made in the US can be made in China these days for a pittance, and rapidly.

Even if we were talking about producing an item requiring microns of variance, it could still be made in a Chinese sweat shop faster and cheaper, the only delay is that long boat ride to the US and clearing Customs before it hit the shelves 100,000 units at a time ..... ;)

BackWoods

Frontiersman
Jul 5, 2015
Temple
Zip code
No offense man, and I love ya like a brotha from anotha motha, but I disagree with the outsourcing/machine/maintenance/labor/material cost comment. Everything made in the US can be made in China these days for a pittance, and rapidly.

Even if we were talking about producing an item requiring microns of variance, it could still be made in a Chinese sweat shop faster and cheaper, the only delay is that long boat ride to the US and clearing Customs before it hit the shelves 100,000 units at a time ..... ;)

You love everybody's brother...we are talking about suppressors around these parts!

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
This isn't my fulltime job and it's not my trade. I understand what you all are saying and I'm saying deregulation will not bring prices down immediately or significantly. Over time, yes prices will come down. I'm trying to give you all insight so take it or leave it, I can invest my time somewhere else.
ARC22 quality cans were still $75-100 in France (totally de-regulated) back in 2005. In today's money that's about $122. There were centerfire suppressors on the shelf as well, all for sale with the same amount of paperwork as a candy bar. $250-$500 It's about the same.

Jul 14, 2015
Atlanta
Zip code
Seriously it's not personal. What insight do you have that we are not understanding?

DoglegArms

Jul 12, 2015
Dallas, GA
www.doglegarms.com
Zip code

Am I dying and no one told me?!! Take the kid gloves off man. You know I'm Asian right? Have you ever outsourced something to China? And I'm not talking about Alibaba. Unless you're talking about the grey market, it's not a fast process.

Even if silencers were removed from being a Title 2 firearm, they would almost certainly still be considered a firearm and subject to importation process and regulations of the ATF. All this stuff takes time.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
WIth manufacturers like Sig, Ruger, and AAC (arnt they owned by freedom group now?), they should have enough capital already to relatively quickly start mass production and keep prices reasonably low. It would suck for the small companies but if they were deregulated I suspect that the larger companies would start spitting them out as fast as they could as well as keep prices on the downward slide.

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Am I dying and no one told me?!! Take the kid gloves off man. You know I'm Asian right? Have you ever outsourced something to China? And I'm not talking about Alibaba. Unless you're talking about the grey market, it's not a fast process.

Even if silencers were removed from being a Title 2 firearm, they would almost certainly still be considered a firearm and subject to importation process and regulations of the ATF. All this stuff takes time.
Yes, I've dealt with the Hong Kong market, actually worked for Cathay Pacific and spent a couple years in Asia (Kowloon Bay, etc, etc) ..... yeah, I know how it works. But again, not trying to shit in your Cheerios, I just have a varying opinion on this one ;)

By the way, thanks for doing me right with fast shipping on my last order, much appreciated!

Reactions: DoglegArms
Jul 14, 2015
Atlanta
Zip code
ARC22 quality cans were still $75-100 in France (totally de-regulated) back in 2005. In today's money that's about $122. There were centerfire suppressors on the shelf as well, all for sale with the same amount of paperwork as a candy bar. $250-$500 It's about the same.
the US is a much larger market. A lot of people in Europe shoot lesser quality cans which can be had very cheap. There are many .22 cans under $50. I don't know of anyone anywhere close to that price in the US regardless of quality. This is an example from a quick Google search. http://www.armurerie-francaise.com/silencieux-still-n-3.html

Reactions: Laufen

DoglegArms

Jul 12, 2015
Dallas, GA
www.doglegarms.com
Zip code
Yes, I've dealt with the Hong Kong market, actually worked for Cathay Pacific and spent a couple years in Asia (Kowloon Bay, etc, etc) ..... yeah, I know how it works. But again, not trying to shit in your Cheerios, I just have a varying opinion on this one ;)

By the way, thanks for doing me right with fast shipping on my last order, much appreciated!

I'm not arguing with you anyway. There's no point b/c you won't ever concede .

DoglegArms

Jul 12, 2015
Dallas, GA
www.doglegarms.com
Zip code
WIth manufacturers like Sig, Ruger, and AAC (arnt they owned by freedom group now?), they should have enough capital already to relatively quickly start mass production and keep prices reasonably low. It would suck for the small companies but if they were deregulated I suspect that the larger companies would start spitting them out as fast as they could as well as keep prices on the downward slide.
I give up.

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
I'm not arguing with you anyway. There's no point b/c you won't ever concede .
Shiiiiiit, I'll be the first one to say I'm wrong if that's the case; I have no issue being proven wrong, nobody's perfect. I just have a little background on this subject and I've seen some basic napkin-level blueprints go to production inside of 3 months in HKG and hit the US market within 60 days after that.

In any event, I fully support US manufacturing to keep jobs here in the US, I also feel quality standard can be MAINTAINED within the US much more than overseas, but, to be honest as well as practical, I have to concede that sweat shops can do a similar job for cheaper.

Sorry bud :(

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
If suppressors weren't regulated, I imagine we'd see them in blister packs hanging beside the $20 Tasco scopes at Walmart. Cheap thermoplastic things that you would use for a few hundred rounds and then trash them. Real hearing protection devices that everybody could use.

And for this BS assassin argument, knives are truly quiet.

Reactions: Liberty