Is anyone else meh about suppressors?

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

DoglegArms

Silencer Dealer of 2015, 2016, 2017
Jul 12, 2015
Dallas, GA
www.doglegarms.com
Zip code
Its nothing against you or anyone in the biz. Im not saying you can make the best can in the world for super cheap. Im just saying that the reason these things cost so much has more to do with the regulation (and the decrease in demand it creates) than it does with the actual manufacturing cost. Building a silencer is not rocket science. The technology has not changed much since they were first invented.

Okay.

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
Its nothing against you or anyone in the biz. Im not saying you can make the best can in the world for super cheap. Im just saying that the reason these things cost so much has more to do with the regulation (and the decrease in demand it creates) than it does with the actual manufacturing cost. Building a silencer is not rocket science. The technology has not changed much since they were first invented.
Open up any can from the 80's and early 90's and it will look massively different from today's cans.

Reactions: DoglegArms

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
I'll buy you a beer if your "telephone poll" is quieter than your Octane. Make that an entire 6 pack. And a hand job.
When I was a kid I would glue a 20oz bottle to the inside of a 2 liter bottle then attach a small portion of pvc pipe to the end. It slipped over my 22 bull barrel. Worked fantastically. I couldn't do that with something other than Rimfire though

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
Well over 100 years ago they looked like this.
View attachment 12433
Now compare that to today's Rimfire baffles since this is what the original
Maxim essentially was. They are much different and more efficient. A sparrows mono core has infinitely less baffles, lighter, better material, servicable, and better performance.

Now pistol and rifle suppressor tech is majorly different.

Consider the silencerco hybrid. A 14oz can rated for 338 winmag.

Last edited:

Liberty

nitrocellulose dispenser
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2015
Ga
Zip code
Maxim essentially was. They are much different and more efficient. A sparrows mono core has infinitely less baffles, lighter, better material, servicable, and better performance.

Consider the silencer I hybrid. A 14oz can rated for 338 winmag.

Well a Model T Ford looks an awful lot different than a 2015 F150, and a cell phone looks a lot different that a telegraph machine. Isn't it amazing what 100 years can do for all technology and materials.

Jul 14, 2015
Atlanta
Zip code

Consider the silencer I hybrid. A 14oz can rated for 338 winmag.
I would argue it's not that drastically different but I see your point. silencer manufacturers are pushing the envelope today because of increase demand but physics will only allow them to go so far. You still need enough space to capture the gas and some type of baffle system to redirect it. the first airplane was invented more recently than that maxim and that technology is drastically different today.

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
Well a Model T Ford looks an awful lot different than a 2015 F150, and a cell phone looks a lot different that a telegraph machine. Isn't it amazing what 100 years can do for all technology and materials.
Yup same principles but new science and new metallurgy.

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
I would argue it's not that drastically different but I see your point. silencer manufacturers are pushing the envelope today because of increase demand but physics will only allow them to go so far. You still need enough space to capture the gas and some type of baffle system to redirect it. the first airplane was invented more recently than that maxim and that technology is drastically different today.
THere are some really cool things implemented now in suppressor technology from old sources too.

The silencerco Hoplon baffle in the saker was something that saw use on civil war boat cannons. I'm not sure what it did on the cannons but it helps redirect gasses in a high pressure suppressor to reduce erosion on the initial blast baffle.

Jul 14, 2015
Atlanta
Zip code
But that's not really the point I was trying to make. Barring all the regulations, if someone wanted to make a great (not the latest and greatest) silencer for very cheap it wouldn't be that difficult or expensive provided there is enough demand.

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
But that's not really the point I was trying to make. Barring all the regulations, if someone wanted to make a great (not the latest and greatest) silencer for very cheap it wouldn't be that difficult or expensive provided there is enough demand.
Well I challenge you to try. Then when another company beats you or brings out a new material or tech you'll have to start from square one.

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
Other new tech.

Taper mounted cans(lower impact shift and repeatable mounting)

Tube less cans(Sig cans and really the Omega too)

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
If they wernt regulated and after the initial cost of increased manufacturing the price on many cans would go down. There would be some new stuff that would demand a premium but from a pure manufacturing standpoint (not including R&D and overhead) can should be significantly cheaper to produce. A SS can doesnt cost 1000 to make. IF they are deregulated and manufacturing catches up to demand there should be a significant drop in price.