Inexpensive Red Dot

American Revival Apparel Company

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
Does anybody have any experience with the Primary Arms Advanced micro dots? I know when they came out they were supposed to be great but I haven't heard much about them since.
Yes. My buddy runs one on his AK while I run the 89 dollar one on my AK. They seem to perform exactly identical to both of us personally. Acquisition, crispness, quality etc all seem identical. Same covers, removable mount etc. Off the top of my head I honestly cant remember any difference other than the advanced dot battery lasts like 4 times longer...

I have several of the 89 dollar one and its the best value dot ive put on any of my ars and aks.

TattooedGunner

Frontiersman
Mar 31, 2015
Cedartown, GA
Zip code
Yes. My buddy runs one on his AK while I run the 89 dollar one on my AK. They seem to perform exactly identical to both of us personally. Acquisition, crispness, quality etc all seem identical. Same covers, removable mount etc. Off the top of my head I honestly cant remember any difference other than the advanced dot battery lasts like 4 times longer...

I have several of the 89 dollar one and its the best value dot ive put on any of my ars and aks.

Yeah I've had a couple of the cheap ones and never had a problem with them. I have heard multiple people say they can fog up if you try to use them in the rain, not sure.

I just remember when the Advanced series came out people were throwing out things like "Aimpoint quality for 1/3 of the price."

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
Yeah I've had a couple of the cheap ones and never had a problem with them. I have heard multiple people say they can fog up if you try to use them in the rain, not sure.

I just remember when the Advanced series came out people were throwing out things like "Aimpoint quality for 1/3 of the price."
THAT is exactly why he bought that one lol. I bought 2 or 3 that same day and spend about the same as he did.

madHatter

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Fuckville
The primary arms basic red dots are very good for a sub $100 optic. The bushnell trs-25 (?) also gets very good reviews.

I have owned five of the primary arms optics and all were reliable with basic functionality. I have no experience with the bushnell.

I have owned one vortex sparc and I was not impressed. The on/off button failed after several months. Disappointing for a $150-200 optic. Their customer service is good - as many will tell you - but that's only because everyone has used it.

My advice would be to stick with the primary arms or - if you want to go for something a bit more high end - save a bit more for the aimpoint pro or aco. Black Friday is coming soon and there should be some deals on those models in the $360 range.
This ^^

Hayata

Blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-PING!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
I've got a Vortex Strikefire on my 5.45 AR.

Works great. Even with a bump fire stock it holds zero.