Improving your grip on the LCP slide

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
On the "other" forum, I posted a method I used then to make the LCP slide easier to grip. It consisted of using little strips of 3M stair tread tape stuck into the grooves on the right side of the slide (I am right handed and usually carry on my right side). Here are the photos I posted back then:

Here is the tape applied to the LCP's slide:
Closeup%20of%20slide%20pub.jpg

This is the tape that I used. It's available at Home Depot.
3M%20Box.jpg

After carrying a bit and cycling the slide even more, the tape strips started to come off one at a time. I got several months' use out of one application but decided that wasn't good enough. So, I poked around the shop and found a container of coarse silicon carbide grit that I'd hoarded away. It's about 60 to 80 grit size. Here is a photo of the grit applied to the LCP and another of the carbide grit in a dish with a .223 55gr bullet for size reference:

LCP%20with%20carbide%20on%20slide.jpg

Carbide%20grit%20close%20up.psd
Carbide%20grit%20close%20up.psd
Carbide%20grit%20close%20up.jpg

I applied the grit to the LCP using these steps:
  • Remove the slide from the LCP.
  • Thoroughly clean the slide with MEK or Acetone.
  • Plug the hole in the furthest forward groove (right side) with a round toothpick.
  • Cover the extractor completely with masking tape.
  • Using a sharpened toothpick, put a layer of epoxy glue in all of the grooves.
  • Very carefully wipe off any excess epoxy that may outside the grooves.
  • Carefully pour carbide grit over the epoxy using just a little more than needed.
  • With a finger or a slightly rounded stick, poke the carbide grit to seat it better in the epoxy.
  • Remove the excess carbide grit. Care in this step greatly affects the appearance of the finished job.
  • Wait for the epoxy to cure before handling the slide.
  • Thoroughly clean off any carbide grit that got into places where it shouldn't be (and it did).
Not only is this mod much more durable than the tape method, but it provides 100% more grip with the same pinch force applied to the slide. The slide simply does not get away from me any more.

Obviously, this could be applied to any hard-to-grasp pistol slide and not just to the LCP's slide.

Though I got the small supply of silicone carbide grit which I have from one of my industrial customers while I was still working, I found a place where it can be purchased by anybody. The place is: The Rock Shed. I would suggest trying the 80 grit size first, though it's cheap enough to get a pound each of the two coarsest grits they sell.

mayonardo

What Would Paladin Do?
Another solution that works well for me is to use skateboard tape cut to the shape of the slide. I stick it over the serrations and mash the tape down into them with the end of a round paintbrush. It stays for months (these have been on for almost a year I think) and it is easier, but not as neat as, Skip's method.

Mayo.
iPhone & Tapatalk

R

rayzer007

I cut a piece of the TractionGrips and put it over the slide serrations on my three autos.
Skip's solutions are admittedly more elegant, but I'd make a horrible mess trying either! :(

Ray

D

Denny4kids

Skip I'm going to have to copy your great idea! I don't think this will hinder the pocket draw of Elsie one bit. Thanks.

Back in my radio control airplane days I used epoxy a lot. A trick that I would like to share is if the epoxy is too thick for your project a little heat from a hair drier or heat gun will thin your mix and will not change the cure time. We would heat the mixing can and the epoxy could be brushed really thin if needed. Also some people are allergic to epoxy so if you are not sure throw on some gloves. Den

Yogi 117

Woodsman
Jun 8, 2012
Salem OR
mayonardo said:
Another solution that works well for me is to use skateboard tape cut to the shape of the slide. I stick it over the serrations and mash the tape down into them with the end of a round paintbrush. It stays for months (these have been on for almost a year I think) and it is easier, but not as neat as, Skip's method.

Mayo.
+1, exactly what I've done. When I notice the Tape starting to lose it's sticky, I just clean the slide & apply a new strip. Does indeed last for months & takes a short time to re-apply a new strip of tape. Yogi 8)

Verticoli

Personal philosophy? Clothing optional.
Jun 10, 2012
Fl's west coast
What I like about these ideas are that they don't add to the size of the gun. My feeling is, if you need to make a little gun bigger, you need a bigger gun.

M

mukwah

These are execptional ideas to improve slide grip on semi autos! Thanks to all for the info! I'm going to bookmark this thread for future reference! Fortunately up to this point I'm not having any problems with gripping or racking my slides,knock on wood!