I can't believe I'm considering this.

American Revival Apparel Company

erkinator 2

Smiling Handyman
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 1, 2015
Zip code
A big thing to consider is any power factor rules you may have to contend with. Recoil makes a big difference in competition. I was reading a good post when searching for lightening the slide on my 1911 and most of the stuff you see is not functional. The guy who wrote the article went through a prices and found that 50% taken equally from each end of the slide ended up being the ticket. Also, more is not better.

explosive bonding 1911,look it up. Co designed, made and tested by Paul Evancoe.Retired Navy Seal. He is an aquaintance.Pretty good read.

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
1911’s can be quite reliable, but there is a huge difference between them and any Glock; every Glock is made by the exact some company, on the same machines, to the same specs, with the same materials. 1911’s can very from maker to maker, and there are ton of those out there. So, 1911’s as a whole lack consistency.

Then you have the 1911 end user messing around with parts, mods, and upgrades that they have no business messing around with. Some of the stuff I’ve seen show up........

The only parts of a 1911 that I have found to be truly “drop in” are grips and magazines. At some point in time, I’ve had to fit every other part.

I competed in USPSA Single Stack for years. The 1911 I used was a Springfield Armory TRP. I changed out the grips, mag well, rear sight, and tuned the trigger and extractor. In all my years of competing and practicing with that gun, I had exactly 3 malfunctions; one was due to a bad round that I handloaded, one to a bad CMC magazine, and the third when the hammer fell to half cock while firing because I had set the trigger too light. All 3 were remedied by me; I paid more attention to the ammo I loaded, replaced the bad magazine, I added 1/8 pound to the sear spring. This was on a handgun that I had set up for competition use only. This means that it had mods that I wouldn’t have done on a carry gun because, while they made it a dream to shoot, they sacrificed reliability. In a competition gun for me, reliability is second to accuracy, within reason. In a carry gun, reliability is king and top of my list.

Nowadays you have a lot of companies making cheap 1911’s. I’ll admit to being a 1911 snob, the TRP is the cheapest base 1911 I own. After I finished competing with it, I dropped it off to John Harrison for about $1600 of work.

Nowadays in my handgun courses, the handgun that I see malfunction the most is the Glock. Why? In nearly every case that I see, they are Glocks that the end user has performed a bunch of mods on. When your G17 is malfunctioning at least 1 on every drill, you have a serious issue. Too many folks watching too many YouTube videos on “25 cent trigger job on your Glock” and similar.

Last edited:

EugenFJR

An anchor on a ship of fools.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
1911’s can be quite reliable, but there is a huge difference between them and any Glock; every Glock is made by the exact some company, on the same machines, to the same specs, with the same materials. 1911’s can very from maker to maker, and there are ton of those out there. So, 1911’s as a whole lack consistency.

Then you have the 1911 end user messing around with parts, mods, and upgrades that they have no business messing around with. Some of the stuff I’ve seen show up........

The only parts of a 1911 that I have found to be truly “drop in” are grips and magazines. At some point in time, I’ve had to fit every other part.

I competed in USPSA Single Stack for years. The 1911 I used was a Springfield Armory TRP. I changed out the grips, mag well, rear sight, and tuned the trigger and extractor. In all my years of competing and practicing with that gun, I had exactly 3 malfunctions; one was due to a bad round that I handloaded, one to a bad CMC magazine, and the third when the hammer fell to half cock while firing because I had set the trigger too light. All 3 were remedied by me; I paid more attention to the ammo I loaded, replaced the bad magazine, I added 1/8 pound to the sear spring. This was on a handgun that I had set up for competition use only. This means that it had mods that I wouldn’t have done on a carry gun because, while they made it a dream to shoot, they sacrificed reliability. In a competition gun for me, reliability is second to accuracy, within reason. In a carry gun, reliability is king and top of my list.

Nowadays you have a lot of companies making cheap 1911’s. I’ll admit to being a 1911 snob, the TRP is the cheapest base 1911 I own. After I finished competing with it, I dropped it off to John Harrison for about $1600 of work.

Nowadays in my handgun courses, the handgun that I see malfunction the most is the Glock. Why? In nearly every case that I see, they are Glocks that the end user has performed a bunch of mods on. When your G17 is malfunctioning at least 1 on every drill, you have a serious issue. Too many folks watching too many YouTube videos on “25 cent trigger job on your Glock” and similar.

Bone stock I really enjoy shooting my G21SF, the trigger could be a little better, and a red dot would make it much faster for my old eyes. But I do have a 20 year old Springfield 1911 GI model, that is very accurate, with no malfunctions. ( granted I haven't shot it that much, and the GI sights suck) I'd be okay with it for home defence, but a G21SF makes more sense.