How much better is the new LCP

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

kraigster414

Hunter
Jun 8, 2012
Northern VA
I think if you have money to burn and see one for sale, it sounds like a plan to me. How hard are they to find lately? It was the best pocket .380 for the $ when it first came out and it remains the pick of the litter today at under $350.

I wonder if I can just buy a new slide with the improved sights. Oh what the heck! I'll buy a whole new gun. :)

TRIGGER_1

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
Athens, GA USA
kraigster414 said:
I think if you have money to burn and see one for sale, it sounds like a plan to me. How hard are they to find lately? It was the best pocket .380 for the $ when it first came out and it remains the pick of the litter today at under $350.

I wonder if I can just buy a new slide with the improved sights. Oh what the heck! I'll buy a whole new gun. :)

Might as well get a big box of cigars to go with that new LCP too... :p

jackjr

Woodsman
Jun 10, 2012
I bought one for the wife but it hasn't been shot yet. Part of her collection and may never be shot. I seem to recall they are going for $319 at my LGS. Sights are a little better but it is a bit of a belly gun anyway.

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
Was at the local gun shop and played with the new LCP, The new trigger is a whole new world for the little Bronco. I will be getting one.

TRIGGER_1

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
Athens, GA USA
My Elsie is 4 years old now so I think I will retire her to car duty only and buy me a new and improved Elsie for every day carry...... :p

I have plenty of mags and holsters so why not stick with a winner..... 8)

Of course when I go to the bad lands Atlanta I will take my CM9 or G23.... :D

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
Re: How much better is the new LCP-RANGE REPORT

RANGE REPORT: RUGER LCP VS RUGER LCP GENERATION 11 (Note- this is my personal evaluation with my shooting characteristics, Yours may vary.)

* Let me say, that I'm very familiar with the shooting characteristics of the LCP having shot a few thousand rounds through one
* Guns compared will be:
1) a NEW Ruger LCP but the older version without the sight and trigger upgrade. It is equipped with a Hogue Hybrid Grip and a wolf #11 spring and guide rod.

2) New Ruger version 11 with trigger upgrade, STOCK and NEW extended magazine (purchased separately)

3) Tula 91 gr. ammo 21' indoor range

I have not shot this gun very much since the ammo shortage. Once at the range with the new gun (Older version) Ruger sent me when my original LCP finally had to be put down.

First gun up, Older version, first shot Wow! Elsie has a way of letting you know she demands full attention. Snappy little devil and she was reminding me to hold on. First shot way off target. I was clearly out of practice with this gun and just a reminder that any gun you carry needs a steady diet of some range time.
14 rounds through the gun and the groups became fairly back on track, but lousy grouping of about 5 to 10 inches apart.

Next up the new Ruger generation 11- with Pachmayr grip--First magazine, Holly Moses! Tight dang groups! All shots connecting into a tangerine size hole. Clearly a huge remarkable improvement in shooting this small little Pistol. I was totally impressed!

The recoil seemed more noticeable on the this gun without the Wolf Spring and Hogue Hybrid Grip. Not by much, but a little. However, I went through about 7 more magazines with the new pistol, and A STEADY CONSISTENT TIGHT GROUP PATTERNS. The New trigger made a HUGE difference and I loved the extended magazine which gave very good support for my long fingers.
The new trigger surprises me. It is almost the opposite of the original trigger. I read that the difference in the pull length is about 30%, it seemed to me about 50%. It had a heavy pull , but short and crisp and the gun is not anywhere near broken in. The new short stroke, may be a concern for some owners that prefer the long trigger pull of the original, for safety reasons.

SUMMARY: The new improved RUGER LCP was well worth the investment I made. Especially since I carry it almost daily. The new trigger is a remarkable upgrade and quite frankly think that this trigger may well be better than any of the pocket pistols now in production. The New extended magazine is fantastic for support for my hand, and a added extra round increases the fire power to 8 rounds for this gun (One in the chamber). I do need to get the Wolf Spring kit and experiment with the different sizes. I will also get a new Hogue Hybrid for the new gun for additional support.
Kudos to the Tula ammo. Both guns ran flawlessly with the Tula, and the grouping of the new pistol is testament to the accuracy of the ammo

*** Before purchasing this new model LCP, please note that the Trigger which is the only safety of this weapon is about 30% less in travel. For some folks, the older version may be the better choice. I suggest you go to a local gun shop and judge for yourself

TRIGGER_1

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
Athens, GA USA
Dave.....Great range report..... 8)

I kinda thought it may turn out this way....
Many folks were looking forward to the shorter trigger pull and improved sights...

The better groupings for a point and shoot gun is a big plus..... ;)