Home Defense: AR vs Shotgun

American Revival Apparel Company

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
Everyone is making very good points.

Personally I have a Glock 21 with a surefire x300 on my night stand, because it's what I'm most comfortable with and I feel the ability to clear corners without running the risk of someone grabbing a barrel is better.

I'm not a professional, I'm not a soldier, I have never been trained in how to clear rooms, but when I did dry runs in my house one day while no one was home I found I moved much easier with a handgun than I did a rifle and for sure more than the shotgun, and since I am more familiar with the handgun, I point it more naturally in the dark when you can't always see your sights.
Infraction for not filming your mall ninja-ry

chance

Tracker
Jul 15, 2015
Ga
Zip code
It's nice to have the option of both, but since my only shotgun right now is a single shot 20g, I'll go for the AR style rifle (suppressed Sig 551 SBR)

DTW762

Hunter
Jul 28, 2015
Carrollton GA
If I had to choose between the two, suppressed AR FTW. But I personally prefer a handgun with a light mounted, so I can grab my kid with one hand and still be able to defend while moving back to my wife and I's room to barricade. I'm not trying to clear my house, as I don't have the training to do so. And I'm a realist, if someone makes it in my house and isn't already chewed to a fine paste by both my dogs that roam free all night, then I don't want to go poking around a dark house to find him.