Help me decide on a shotgun

GA Firing Line

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
Sporting clays is where you move from station to station shooting two targets at each station not knowing where they're going to be thrown from. So you end up shooting different angles and distances. It's kinda like the golf course of shooting sports.
Oh shit well Im pretty sure thats what were doing saturday actually. Were going here http://ncfga.net/sporting-clay/

Now that im looking at it, it does specifically say sporting clay. That never rang a bell to me before because I didnt know what it meant haha. Oops

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Ok going to reply in underlined text bc I have questions.

For formal trap shooting most guys go with a much tighter choke, and a trap specific shotgun. The rise in the comb of the stock will be different from a field gun or sporting clays gun because with trap, your target is rising.
Is this the angle up/down of the cheek wield on the stock?

Shooting a rising target requires that a larger percentage of the shot goes above the centerline of the bore than below (field guns are 50/50 ratio, trap is usually 60/40).
Most of the guns Ive looked at dont appear to specify, is this expected? Maybe I should dig deeper.

The reason for this is that you need a built in lead, and the target is going away from you and rising. If you aim at the target, you'll hit low, if you lead your target...you won't be able to see it, and that's not a very consistent manner of shooting.
So what is the solution here? Youre saying go with a trap specific gun?

If you're shooting informally, a field gun will be fine but you'll never realize your full potential. Also, the high comb on the trap gun makes it very uncomfortable to shoulder quickly for skeet, sporting clays, or hunting....you'll beat the everlasting shit out of your cheek bone. You start with the gun shouldered in trap..not so with sporting clays or hunting obviously.
It will just be friends and I at this place, so informal yes, but I dont want to set myself up for failure of course. What is the difference between trap and sporting clays? I thought sporting clays was just a way of referencing skeet or trap interchangeably.

It depends on how "trap specific" you want to be and if you want the compromise of a dual use shotgun.

A lot of guys say "trap shooting" when they are actually talking about shooting a variety of target presentations...crossing, overhead, going away, etc...like a typical sporting clays course or field situation.
Im talking about a clay thrower close by, shooting them away from me at different angles.

Longer barrels swing more smoothly, shorter are faster swinging. Trap guys prefer 28 on the low end to 32" Sporting Clays 26"-28" typically.
1. Yes, the high comb gives the barrel a slight upward angle when shouldered, sending about 60% of the shot obove the centerline of the bore. That high comb is also what makes it a bitch to shoulder quickly.

2. I'd say get a field or target gun, not a trap gun. Trap shooting is targets going away and rising...most people say "trap" as a generic term for all clay shooting...not correct.

3. Sporting clays is basically a hunting simulation target game. "rabbits" bouncing along the ground, crossing shots, shots coming at you and over head. Skeet shooting is crossing shots. All three are very different, trap, sporting and skeet with skeet and sporting clays being the closest.

4. I'd recommend a field gun of some sort and not a trap gun. Like Willy said, a Remington 1100 or maybe a used 390. I'd say try to find a nice used Beretta 390 or 391 in 26-28" You could shoot targets and use it in the field if you wanted to. You'll have to cover targets going away, but that's the smallest compromise you can likely make and one you can live with.

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
As of now I will be using the gun this saturday then again on the 28th of April, both for the same type of shooting. So for now I think I can get away without buying a bunch of chokes.

I might actually take you up on that. Youre kinda far from me but it might be worth the drive to get a little test in before making a purchase.
I'll bring the guns and the ammo if you let me shoot summadem clays.;)

Reactions: Rwjeter

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
1. Yes, the high comb give the barrel a slight upward angle when shouldered, sending about 60% of the shot obove the centerline of the bore. That high comb is also what makes it a bitch to shoulder quickly.

2. I'd say get a field or target gun, not a trap gun. Trap shooting is targets going away and rising...most people say "trap" as a generic term for all clay shooting...not correct.

3. Sporting clays is basically a hunting simulation target game. "rabbits" bouncing along the ground, crossing shots, shots coming at you and over head. Skeet shooting is crossing shots. All three are very different, trap, sporting and skeet with skeet and sporting clays being the closest.

4. I'd recommend a field gun of some sort and not a trap gun. Like Willy said, a Remington 1100 or maybe a used 390. I'd say try to find a nice used Beretta 390 or 391 in 26-28" You could shoot targets and use it in the field if you wanted to.
Gotcha.
I think thats EXACTLY what ive been doing the last few days lmao... Thanks for the clarification.
Got it now.
That makes sense given my situation and new understanding of trap and sporting clays. I agree. Im on the hunt now.

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
Its super far up in N ga but shit youre welcome to come! Itll be me and a few of my retarded friends hanging shooting then going to eat BBQ after haha.
If I could I would. My life revolves around the availability of child care. You're welcome to the guns though.

I don't know where you're at, but I'll probably be driving up to the mall of ga area and through Gainesville Friday afternoon if that helps.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
If I could I would. My life revolves around the availability of child care. You're welcome to the guns though.

I don't know where you're at, but I'll probably be driving up to the mall of ga area and through Gainesville Friday afternoon if that helps.
Yeah im in acworth lol, veryyy far away. Let me think on it.

Jul 14, 2015
Atlanta
Zip code
I would recommend waiting to try a few out and see what fits/what you like. The beretta 390/391 have adjustable "shims" that allow you to get a pretty close fit most of the time. I don't know if other guns offer this. In sporting clays and skeet you can share guns. In trap you need your own gun. Try out as many as you can. Most people are eager to help new shooters. Fit is REALLY important in shotguns. if you think you want to get into it I would recommend taking a lesson or two. It's totally different from pistol and rifle shooting

Reactions: Laufen

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
Don't feel like reading through all of this. Just going to put my opinion out there.

I personally shoot my shotguns as much as I do my rifles. My Steoger has seen many cases of ammo for sporting clay tournaments, or just the back yard clay thrower days at my buddies house.

Ok, so pumps suck for clays. I have seen people use them, and use them well at clay tournaments, but I just don't like them. To clunky, too much going on while trying to get ahead of a target. Just not my thing and I don't shoot clays with them well.

I actually have an STF 3000. The LOP is long, but you are a taller guy, so I would bet it fits you quite well. I paid $250 for it used. Things to note, the forearms are NOT fitted like a Citori. Don't be shocked if you find one and the wood doesn't quite line up, but then again, they are literally 1/3 the cost of a basic O/U Citori. The auto-eject can be annoying sometimes to keep track of your shells ( I grab mine out of the breach and toss them then instead of letting them fly out only to have to pick them up later and the auto-eject makes that a tad annoying). Also, the lock is not as smooth and precise as nicer O/U, but works. I like the vent rib barrel and feel it helps ALOT to get on/ahead of the target much quicker than something that is just a bead post. I run my STF with a set of improved cylinder chokes and shoot Winchester AA SSClay #7.5 shot for clay shoots. This combo works very well for me and my gun shooting clays. I recently went on a FL waterfowl hunt and used a modified and full choke combo with Winchester drylock #3 shot, and was impressed →we hit our limit the second day. It also gave us a chance to watch our patterns at a good distance shooting into the water and was very satisfied with it. All-in-all, hard to beat the value of one.

I will note the STF is not forgiving on recoil. It is not awful, but not near as comfortable as a semi-auto, especially compared to any Benelli with the Comfortec (whatever they call it) stock.

My next opinion. I have shot an 1100, and a Baretta semi-autos (cannot remember the model though) for clays. Both are great shooting shotguns, although the 1100 broke on the second to last clay shoot again (forend support failed and the metal pieces got wedged into the action locking it up, previously had to replace the O-ring on it once as it got old and split in two). The o-rings are super cheap and inevitable to happen, and the forend support was $12 and only took 10-15 to replace and appears to be a somewhat common failure after crap loads of rounds after looking around on the Google). Me personally, I just don't shoot them as well, although I still want add an Ethos to add to the collection one day.

If you want to borrow the STF 3000 some time, hollar at me. You can use it for a weekend to see if you like it.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
I would recommend waiting to try a few out and see what fits/what you like. The beretta 390/391 have adjustable "shims" that allow you to get a pretty close fit most of the time. I don't know if other guns offer this. In sporting clays and skeet you can share guns. In trap you need your own gun. Try out as many as you can. Most people are eager to help new shooters. Fit is REALLY important in shotguns. if you think you want to get into it I would recommend taking a lesson or two. It's totally different from pistol and rifle shooting
Yeah I agree, I wish I had more time.

Where do you take lessons for something like this?

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
Yeah I agree, I wish I had more time.

Where do you take lessons for something like this?

Some of the gun clubs offer it, but really, just ask some more experienced folks when you go shooting and learn by doing. Try to get in on a Rotary Club shoot at Barnsley Gardens. Some of those guys are professional shooters or incredibly skilled hobbyist. A lot of them don't mind giving you pointers.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
Don't feel like reading through all of this. Just going to put my opinion out there.

I personally shoot my shotguns as much as I do my rifles. My Steoger has seen many cases of ammo for sporting clay tournaments, or just the back yard clay thrower days at my buddies house.

Ok, so pumps suck for clays. I have seen people use them, and use them well at clay tournaments, but I just don't like them. To clunky, too much going on while trying to get ahead of a target. Just not my thing and I don't shoot clays with them well.

I actually have an STF 3000. The LOP is long, but you are a taller guy, so I would bet it fits you quite well. I paid $250 for it used. Things to note, the forearms are NOT fitted like a Citori. Don't be shocked if you find one and the wood doesn't quite line up, but then again, they are literally 1/3 the cost of a basic O/U Citori. The auto-eject can be annoying sometimes to keep track of your shells ( I grab mine out of the breach and toss them then instead of letting them fly out only to have to pick them up later and the auto-eject makes that a tad annoying). Also, the lock is not as smooth and precise as nicer O/U, but works. I like the vent rib barrel and feel it helps ALOT to get on/ahead of the target much quicker than something that is just a bead post. I run my STF with a set of improved cylinder chokes and shoot Winchester AA SSClay #7.5 shot for clay shoots. This combo works very well for me and my gun shooting clays. I recently went on a FL waterfowl hunt and used a modified and full choke combo with Winchester drylock #3 shot, and was impressed →we hit our limit the second day. It also gave us a chance to watch our patterns at a good distance shooting into the water and was very satisfied with it. All-in-all, hard to beat the value of one.

I will note the STF is not forgiving on recoil. It is not awful, but not near as comfortable as a semi-auto, especially compared to any Benelli with the Comfortec (whatever they call it) stock.

My next opinion. I have shot an 1100, and a Baretta semi-autos (cannot remember the model though) for clays. Both are great shooting shotguns, although the 1100 broke on the second to last clay shoot again (forend support failed and the metal pieces got wedged into the action locking it up, previously had to replace the O-ring on it once as it got old and split in two). The o-rings are super cheap and inevitable to happen, and the forend support was $12 and only took 10-15 to replace and appears to be a somewhat common failure after crap loads of rounds after looking around on the Google). Me personally, I just don't shoot them as well, although I still want add an Ethos to add to the collection one day.

If you want to borrow the STF 3000 some time, hollar at me. You can use it for a weekend to see if you like it.
TLDR is basically: Get a field gun and put some time behind it then go from there.

Those stoegers look pretty good to me. But you paying $250 turns me off of the one I found on ODT for $400. I might take you up on that if you really dont mind. Youre close enough for me for that to be reasonable.

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
TLDR is basically: Get a field gun and put some time behind it then go from there.

Those stoegers look pretty good to me. But you paying $250 turns me off of the one I found on ODT for $400. I might take you up on that if you really dont mind. Youre close enough for me for that to be reasonable.

The $250 was a "friend" price from a buddy of mine. No clue what they sell for normally used so don't use what I paid a a basis for a good market price.

Also, just let me know when you want to swing by and pick it up.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
The $250 was a "friend" price from a buddy of mine. No clue what they sell for normally used so don't use what I paid a a basis for a good market price.

Also, just let me know when you want to swing by and pick it up.
They appear to run on sale at Dicks every now and then for $399.99. Normal price is $499.99.

I'll text you here in a bit.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
Yes it is Semi. I like it a lot. Very little recoil with cheap skeet/bird rounds. Has been super reliable for me so far. It is just all black though, I don't know if they offer wood stocks.
Damn, I wouldnt mind trying out a semi also...

Looking them up now

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
Semi shotguns are nice. My dad has a Berretta AL391 and after a day of dove shooting his shoulder is a lot less sore than mine.

chance

Tracker
Jul 15, 2015
Ga
Zip code
I normally dont recommend cheaper guns, but I got to try out some Tristar shotguns last year. They were surprisingly well made, and were very easy to hit clays with. Even their semi-automatics ran great, which I cant say about mossberg.

http://www.tristararms.com/

Reactions: AtlMedic