Hate shooting in the cold

Howard Law

Aimless1

Woodsman
Jan 20, 2013
NW Iowa
I've been shooting and carrying my LCP for over a year now and have been getting used to the little beast. However, I stopped at the free outdoor range that I use to run off a few rounds, and my trigger finger hurt after only 15 rounds or so :eek:. I've read of other people having this issue, but never experienced it myself. I'm guessing it was the cold (winter in Iowa isn't for sissies). Wow-I can't remember a time when I didn't want to shoot another mag, much less stop half way through one and quit! Will probably have to get some shooting gloves........or maybe hibernate.

TRIGGER_1

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
Athens, GA USA
Yep that trigger slap can sting....I just try to grip tighter with my support hand.... :p
After about 50 rounds I am usually ready to put elsie away.... ;)

Aimless1

Woodsman
Jan 20, 2013
NW Iowa
Trigger-I don't usually shoot more than 20 to 25 rounds at a time before I'm ready to switch. There are always other guns along to shoot and not always enough time. Never had issues with trigger slap before this though, and I attribute it to the cold. Winter sucks.

Aimless1

Woodsman
Jan 20, 2013
NW Iowa
The closest indoor range is 40 miles away-not too convenient, and costs $12/half hr or $18/hr. I'm old school and don't like to have to pay to shoot (I'd rather spend money on ammo). But I guess the indoor range option is better than suspending my shooting all together during the cold. I still think winter sucks :mad:

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
Its still fun shooting in the cold. It's just more miserable as you get older.
Years ago I would go to muzzle loader outdoor matches all your long. One match the temperature was down to 0 degrees. When its cold you have to substitute your spit patches with antifreeze patches.

RICHGCOOP

DROID3 - Tap talk

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
Many a cold winter morning I had to drag my behind out to a requalification course on a pistol or rifle range. But that was many moons ago, these days it's strictly indoors in the winter months. Call me wimp, and I'll smile. I moved South in 1989 and freezing was the reason.

Aimless1

Woodsman
Jan 20, 2013
NW Iowa
lws380 - I'm thinkin' about sending a couple rounds downrange with the old Mosin and warming my mitts on the barrel before grabbin' the LCP. :D

Slowhand - you're a lucky dog to be anywhere south of this polar icecap (Iowa)

RICHGCOOP - antifreeze patches?!?!

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
When you shoot a muzzleloader If you're hunting use a grease patch if you're shooting target you Use a spit patch. You can use your spit on a patch or you can use Moose milk which is water, water soluble oil and Proxide.
But if the temperature is below freezing use your Windshield washer solvent which is Antifreeze on your patches so when your RAM the patched ball down the barrel it doesn't freeze half way down.

RICHGCOOP

DROID3 - Tap talk

Aimless1

Woodsman
Jan 20, 2013
NW Iowa
Rich - I'm not very familiar with muzzleloading tech and I thank you for the education about the patch lube. I'll admit I chuckled when you mentioned antifreeze patches......but makes great sense especially when our temps are supposed to "warm up to -9 for a high on Monday". I still think winter sucks.

Yup- Moose milk would be a popsicle.

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
It just keeps getting colder and colder it's down to minus 11 now.
It does feel good standing in front of the gas fireplace I guess I'll have to break out a bottle of wine.
RICHGCOOP

DROID3 - Tap talk