Grease/oil frequency

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA
R

rayzer007

I would like some opinions:

Once a gun has lubricated, how long will the lubrication protect; a year before it needs another greasing/oiling? Thanks!

Ray

Pops

Woodsman
Jun 8, 2012
Maine
Ray; your question will bring up many opinions. It really depends on many variables, such as storage conditions(AC in home, basement storage, area of country, if in a safe is it protected with dessicant or heated rod), where it is stored and what type of protectant applied(WD 40 up to Frog lube or Eezox( surface treatments) up to Cosmoline. I would think a good gun oil under typical house conditions would last a year. ;)

R

rayzer007

Pops said:
Ray; your question will bring up many opinions.

Yes James, that appears to be the case for anything to do with firearms, as I am learning. Widely divergent, and often somewhat polar opposite points of view. I guess the best thing is read a lot, and then do whatever you feel is best. Seems to be very few absolutes in this particular arena! Either that, or an there's an awful lot of people expressing opinions that probably shouldn't, since they have nothing factual to back their ideas (other than what they have read, which may have been incorrect)! Still it's an enjoyable pastime!

Ray

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
A lot of variables not mentioned here, but I will take a run at it. My guns are in a safe in my house so there is good climate control and I use a quality lube. Most of my guns get shot fairly often, but a few don't. I try to clean/lube every gun when it is fired or every 6 months if it doesn't get fired. Of course the really special guns I try to caress more often because I think they like it. :D

3Coyotes

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Effington, Ohio
As a statement of concensus, a year is about the outside range of time to touch up an unfired gun. They always get the full treatment immediately after they visit the range. YMMV

Fred_Import

Woodsman
Mar 20, 2010
SoCal
bigdogdaddy said:
A lot of variables not mentioned here, but I will take a run at it. My guns are in a safe in my house so there is good climate control and I use a quality lube. Most of my guns get shot fairly often, but a few don't. I try to clean/lube every gun when it is fired or every 6 months if it doesn't get fired. Of course the really special guns I try to caress more often because I think they like it. :D

Looks like we pretty much think alike about this.

The lube used definitely does matter. Case in point - Rem Oil typically will evaporate after a relatively short period of time, whereas if you're a Mobil 1 user, you can expect it to last a very long time on whatever had been lubed with it.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
Since I started working on my AR-15, I learned about Slip 2000 gun oil and also Slip 2000 EWL (Extreme Weapons Lubricant). These two work better than most "gun oil" products for lubrication of firearms that take a beating. I've also found, though, that a lot of really experienced AR-15 owners get very similar lubrication performance with Mobil 1 synthetic oil at a fraction of the cost of the Slip 2000 products.

Fred_Import

Woodsman
Mar 20, 2010
SoCal
Well, since Skip and bigdogdaddy have mentioned Mobil 1 as well, I'll jump back in here. In my first post I just mentioned it as an example suitable to the OP's original question. But since the use of Mobil 1 can sometimes be controversial, I'll jump back in.

Yes, I've heard all the internet pundits say that Mobil 1 is a car oil, not gun oil, and that is doesn't have the necessary rust inhibitors that a true gun oil has, etc., etc. Well, that may or may not be true, but all I can say is that I have been using Mobil 1 synthetic oil for at least ten years on all my guns, and to date, have not experienced any negative issue because of its use. No rust, no jams, no lost lubrication, etc.

I typically use Hoppes 9 or equivalent for a normal cleaning, or Sweet's 7.62 solvent for an ugly copper-fouled rifle bore, then when done, lube with Mobil 1.

Not trying to convert anyone - use what you like - am simply stating my experience with it over the last decade, and then some.

M

mukwah

Been reading this thread as it has progressed and have really been impressed about all the good talk about Mobile 1. Thanks for all the good info guys. I will for sure be getting some Mobile 1 for long term storage firearms!

D

Denny4kids

I use copper and lead removers for the bores of my weapons. Anything that slides gets synthetic grease and anything that rotates gets my mobile one, 0/40 85%, marvel mystery oil 15% mix.

I have been a Master Mercedes Tech at the dealership for 25 years. When a hot engine cools down it will suck in moisture from the air and burn it off when the engine heats up. In the old days when we used organic oil we would find rust inside of the engines. Now when I open an engine there is no rust and everything looks like new even after running more than 10k miles between services. I'm sold on synthetic lubes.
To answer the OP, I always lube my weapons and run them wet. Denny

Pops

Woodsman
Jun 8, 2012
Maine
My wifes van is a 1998 Toyota Sienna with 220,000 miles on it. I have only used mobil 1. No signs of rust and does not use a drop of oil between changes. I like the synthetics also! :)

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
Denny4kids said:
I use copper and lead removers for the bores of my weapons. Anything that slides gets synthetic grease and anything that rotates gets my mobile one, 0/40 85%, marvel mystery oil 15% mix.

I have been a Master Mercedes Tech at the dealership for 25 years. When a hot engine cools down it will suck in moisture from the air and burn it off when the engine heats up. In the old days when we used organic oil we would find rust inside of the engines. Now when I open an engine there is no rust and everything looks like new even after running more than 10k miles between services. I'm sold on synthetic lubes.
To answer the OP, I always lube my weapons and run them wet. Denny

Does the Marvel's Mystery Oil thin the Mobil 1? If not, what does it do?

D

Denny4kids

bigdogdaddy said:
Does the Marvel's Mystery Oil thin the Mobil 1? If not, what does it do?

Good question. Yes it thins the oil just a little and gives it a little better smell. Not that Mobil 1 smells bad, I just like the smell of MMO. Some also add 10% synthetic ATF but I don't. Nothing scientific, I just like the results and cost. Den