Good "beginner" training

Howard Law

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
So sometime next year I hope to get some good training. I plan to start out with a pistol class, I am no delta team 6 operator or anything but I know how to safley handle and reload my gun. What would y'all recommend for a good class that is for beginners on the "Tactical" aspect but not a class for people with no firearms experience?

Basically I want a good class but I don't want to waste too much time on totally basic stuff.

Preferably closer to Atlanta and not terribly terribly expensive.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
My GF and I took a class with Monte (ProtectiveMeasures on ODT) that we really enjoyed. We paid a little extra to do a private class with him that was well worth the money. He also went at our pace, since we didnt really need the whole 4 hours of whiteboard basics... We talked about laws, situational awareness, how to handle yourself for everything that you really shouldnt be pulling a gun for, and finally the use of our weapons from concealment. It was well worth it and I would gladly take another with him, which leads me to the only real con...

He is hard to get in touch with lol... He doesn't always reply to PMs which kinda sucks.

Reactions: dougiemac

dougiemac

Lord of Chaos
Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia
My GF and I took a class with Monte (ProtectiveMeasures on ODT) that we really enjoyed. We paid a little extra to do a private class with him that was well worth the money. He also went at our pace, since we didnt really need the whole 4 hours of whiteboard basics... We talked about laws, situational awareness, how to handle yourself for everything that you really shouldnt be pulling a gun for, and finally the use of our weapons from concealment. It was well worth it and I would gladly take another with him, which leads me to the only real con...

He is hard to get in touch with lol... He doesn't always reply to PMs which kinda sucks.

Monte is a good dude. Wish he was over here on SET.

TattooedGunner

Frontiersman
Mar 31, 2015
Cedartown, GA
Zip code
I took Defensive Pistol Skills through Suarez International a few years ago. 2 day class, I really enjoyed it and learned a lot. They are based out of Arizona but have a staff instructor in Atlanta, and one in Chattanooga. The cool thing about SI is they have "Alumni Days" 3-4 times a year. You pay about $50 for half a day of refresher training, usually revolving around 1 topic like shooting while moving, 1 handed shooting, etc. Then after lunch it's pretty much an open range day. The Chattanooga instructor Randy Harris usually brings several full auto guns you can play with. I have been to a few of those as well, although it's been a while. They are a good way to keep your skills sharp.

I have also heard really good things about Monte at Protective Measures, I would like to train with him at some point.

DoglegArms

Silencer Dealer of 2015, 2016, 2017
Jul 12, 2015
Dallas, GA
www.doglegarms.com
Zip code
Sounds like you need to take a move and shoot class next. And then perhaps a low light class.

I've always had private instruction. The best was with a Dekalb SWAT member. I got to train in their facility. He doesn't offer classes though.

I think Ken Hackathorn has classes out here. Then there's Rogers School of Shooting in NW GA.