Found out how loud primers are..,

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
They are less loud than they are startling. Had to drive a screwed up primer out with a decapping pin and needed a hammer. Scared the shit out of me, even though I "knew" it could happen, and scarred my table.

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
I was in a friend's shop when he set one off accidentally. I was dicking around with something while he was reloading some rifle rounds. He's working along and out of the corner of my eye I see him struggling with the press. Then he's bearing down on the press handle with everything he's got and BANG!

Apparently a primer had gotten flipped sideways in the press-mounted priming thing. He'd partially set the sideways primer and decided the best course of action was to mash it flat because the brass/primer was stuck in the shell holder. Yeah- don't do that.

Reactions: freedom

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
I was in a friend's shop when he set one off accidentally. I was dicking around with something while he was reloading some rifle rounds. He's working along and out of the corner of my eye I see him struggling with the press. Then he's bearing down on the press handle with everything he's got and BANG!

Apparently a primer had gotten flipped sideways in the press-mounted priming thing. He'd partially set the sideways primer and decided the best course of action was to mash it flat because the brass/primer was stuck in the shell holder. Yeah- don't do that.

How do you remove a backwards or messed up primer?

I just assumed the only way to do it will set one off sometimes.

Reactions: dial1911

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
How do you remove a backwards or messed up primer?

I just assumed the only way to do it will set one off sometimes.

I very gently use the decapping pin in the press. Say for John's case above- he'd gotten a primer wedged into the brass and now the brass is basically "pinned" into the shell plate via the primer.

Move the primer cup out from under the shell plate, install the decapping die (if it happens to be in a full length sizing die, screw the decapping pin part as far down as it will go), and the gently operate the press to punch out the bad/sideways/upside down primer.

Reactions: freedom